Monday, November 11, 2013

36

I have now been 36 for a little over 24 hours.  Doesn't seem too bad. 

We went out to eat last night and had a good time - the kids ate well and were manageable and agreeable, which goes a long way.  And of course, we had key lime pie for dessert. 

Katie, Will and I all auditioned yesterday for the "Shrek" musical at church.  Will didn't have to read or sing since I convinced him that his first year should be a small, group role.  He'd rather be Peter Pan.  I sang Away in the Manger, and Katie sang Jingle Bells. 

She is a quiet girl - not one to seek a lot of attention in front of people, BUT she flips a switch when it's time to audition or get on stage.  I'm serious - you can SEE it happen.  She gets up, stands next to the piano and belts out Jingle Bells, complete with expression and hand movements.  I knew she'd do fine, and it was fun watching her.  But what was MORE entertaining for me was watching the audience react to her.  Their jaws were hanging open.  I got so many comments and whispers about how she blew them away and that they forgot what a good singer and little actor she is.  She read her scene, and again - had them laughing.  She didn't use the script provided because she's had it memorized already and she did with such little attitude that everyone really enjoyed watching her.

(Ok, I may be a LITTLE biased here - I realize that.  BUT, she did really well. And it takes a LOT of guts to stand up in front or 30 people or so and SING......ALONE.....with everyone watching.)

I told her how well she did on the way home and how proud she should be of herself.  Then I asked, "How did I do?"

"Well, Mom, you've done better.  You weren't the worst, but you weren't the best."

Brutal honesty.

We should know our parts by early December.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

owwwwccchh

(happy belated birthday)

Jim

Anonymous said...

Must all come from Grandma Lyla!

M.