Monday, November 25, 2013

Thanksgiving week

It's Monday - a short week this week.  I've been working this morning and now I am trying to decide if I should go to the store or wait for a phone call.  I just KNOW that the phone call will come the minute I walk into the store. 

That's been the hardest thing about working from home, I spose - deciding when I can run my errands.  There are things that HAVE to get done some days and while I don't have time limits - the stock market does. 

The phone call I am waiting on is from my boss.  We were going through things around 9....a good time of day to go through things.  Then, mid-conversation, clients "pop" in unannounced and we have to switch gears.  I got some things done for them quickly, and now I am waiting to finish going through things with the boss.....waiting for about 3 hours.

We have Thanksgiving letters that HAVE to get printed today and mailed out.  If I were there in the office, I would just print them and be done with it.  But the way it works now is that I send a test letter to our joint printing "queue", he prints it to check margins, etc and then tells me it's ok to load the other 170 letters.  I do that - send it to the queue and he prints them.  The last 3 letters have been printing oddly.  The "z" and the "k" in the address label of the letter are substituted as a funny symbol.  It doesn't happen on my printer - only his.  I have had him reinstall the driver, but still it happens to about 15 letters.  I am told it is a printer memory problem by some software tech people but I think that is bull and of course they won't give me an answer as to how to solve it.
So while working virtually has it's pluses - it also seems to make some tasks take a lot longer. 
You can't just shout something across the room - which we used to do a lot.  You have to send a text or email and wait for a reply.  And then wonder why the other person isn't replying soon enough.

I just checked our joint schedule and I see that he has an appointment from 1:30 - 3.  That means that I can safely run to the store and maybe even squeeze in a workout.  Will a shower be asking too much....

And of course he will be free to touch base at around 3:30 - just as the kids are getting off the bus and chaos is beginning to unfold.  That seems to be the norm for a few days of the week. 

On a positive note - I don't have to worry about scheduling time off for Thanksgiving.  I just go.  We haven't talked about holiday pay.....I send him monthly invoices for what I expect to get paid.  Should I be nice and not charge for Thanksgiving - which is what a normal, hourly person would do - or should I just charge for it anyway?

You all know I'm not going to charge for it, so I don't even know why I'm asking. 

On a side note - I'd appreciate any positive vibes you have to send to a friend.  The associate pastor of our church, Pastor Kristi, is in Rochester today.  Her husband is having surgery today to remove a brain tumor.  He was just diagnosed last week.  They are absolutely some of the most sweetest, kindest, sincere people you will ever meet.  They could use a good thought.  Their Caring Bridge page has been added to the list in the upper right corner.

No comments: