Thursday, June 30, 2011

Ugh....what have I done?

Ok - that's a bit more melodramatic than it needs to be.

I am planning on participating in an 8k in a few weeks.  That's a hair under 5 miles for you non-metric folks.  For months - well, ever since I started running I said 5k was the longest I would ever go.  And I've recently in the last 2 months been able to run the whole 5k without stopping to walk.  So now at least 2 times a week I get in 3.1 miles with no problem. (Well, ok, it's not THAT easy....but totally doable.)

Some friends of mine are running in an upcoming 8k, and I was waffling about being able to do it.  They basically said "Oh just shut up, you can do it!"  Or maybe that was their exact words.....

Cue the rational side of my brain:  I can do 3.1 miles in around 29 minutes.....basically average 10 minute miles.  (My first mile is faster....and then I drop off.)  So add another 2 miles on to that, it's another 20 minutes of running.  If I work up to 4.5 miles before the race and just add chunks of 5 minutes to my current pace, I shouldn't have a problem getting there in 3 weeks.  I'm not planning on running 5 miles for practice....I think getting up to 4.5 miles should be fine.  So now my goal will be to do the 8k in under 50 minutes.  A realistic goal, I think. 

But boy, what a slippery slope this is.....if I can do an 8k.....a 10k isn't much more....just another mile.  Now I'm up to 6.2 miles....a half marathon is 13 miles, right?  Ok, I think I'm gonna set the ceiling at 10k.  For now.

Oh, and the 8k is in the middle of the day.....in July.....let's pray for a cold spell to pass through the area!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad you signed up!
-Vickie