Monday, August 22, 2011

Eeesh.....what have I done!?

I just signed up for my first duathlon. 

I can't swim well, so I can't do a threesome. (a.k.a. triathlon)

Some friends found this one and suggested it to me.  It called the Athleta Iron Girl.  Sounds cool, right?  It's a 2 mile run, 22 mile bike, 2 mile run race at the end of September.  I've got the running down, no problem there (well, not too much!).  But here's my biking for the summer so far:

We biked as a family about 3.5 miles to Lake Ann.
We biked as a family about 5.5 miles to neighborhood parks.
I biked 2 miles with Katie for a quick spin in the trailer.
I biked 8 miles by myself.
I rode 8 miles on a stationary bike.

Notice anything?  Yeah, that's right - no double digits.  Also - I tried running after my little stretch on the stationary bike and I thought I was going to fall over. :)  Let's just say, I've got some biking in my future if I want to be happy about my finishing time in the race.  I read that they pull you off the course if you don't finish biking in 2 1/2 hours.....so I think I can make it under that.  Also - my nether regions haven't hurt all that much after biking...yet.

So, we'll see what this whole tri/duathlon thing is about.  Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Katie said...

oh man! Can't do a threesome? I'm disappointed! :P Ha...ok...
/innuendo humor

Way to register for a du! (You get to say, "I don't TRI, I DU!") I wish you the best! Have you figured out your training yet--like how much you have to increase each week/when to rest/etc.? I would love to do that one--it's just too much for my family in one weekend, unfortunately! Oh well...there'll be others! Best wishes!

Deb said...

Katie - I love innuendo humor. :)

And you're assuming I have a PLAN??? Are you crazy? Why would I do that?

There is a training schedule that they have, but I'd already have to be at week 8...and I can't train every day. I just don't have the time in the schedule. So, I'm gonna keep running at least 2 times a week just like I was, and add in at least 2 bike rides. One with a trailer....one longer one on the weekends without....maybe.