Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Good thoughts today...

I would appreciate any good thoughts you can send Will's way today.  He has an appointment at 1:30 for a tooth extraction. 

Remember last year we went through this?  I can't remember if I blogged much about it or not, but I must have mentioned it.  Anyway - this would be his second abscessed tooth.  From what I understand an abscess is caused by bacteria or decay getting to the pulp part of the tooth.  In adult teeth it would call for a root canal, but they don't do those in baby teeth so they just take the tooth out.  What kills me is that most of Will's cavities (4 total, I believe) were so small they were filled without even numbing him.  This one was bigger - he had it filled in January and I do remember them numbing him.  None of the cavities caused him any pain or discomfort.  His tooth that had to come out last year had a tiny one that they did NOT numb for.  Does that mean that they don't get all the decay out?  Obviously that's impossible to prove and no medical professional is going to tell me it's the dentist's fault because the cavity shouldn't have been there in the first place.  But, I suppose we will be shopping for a new dentist.  She's filled 4 cavities, and 2 have resulted in loss of tooth - that's not a good statistic for me. 

Because he's gone through this before he knows a bit more of what to expect (and so do I) - that's good and bad.  He is being beyond brave and has plans to take his stuffed shark along because he has enough teeth for both of them.  I also ordered new books he's been wanting on Amazon, which will be delivered to our door by the time we are home AND have a new Lego set hidden for him under the bed.  That should give us some time to cuddle together for the next 36 hours or so. 

No comments: