Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Second week

We're halfway through the second week of school and have only missed the bus to school once.  :)  It was my fault.  The bus comes much later this year - we are towards the end of the pick-ups and I guess I waited too long.  We saw it pull up out the window Monday morning and I think I cursed under my breath.  As Katie was making a run for the door to head out and try to catch it I made them hide away from the windows to appear as if we weren't here - and then I drove them to school. 

Hans and I have gone for a walk/jog every morning since school has started.  He takes his CGC (Canine Good Citizenship) test this Saturday.  It could go either way - pass or fail.  I have full faith in us that we will pass 8 out of 10.  It will be a stroke of luck if we pass the other 2.  The "dog allows itself to be groomed" and "dog allows itself to be petted" give us fits.  Both get Hans really excited...then the licking starts....and then the pawing and mouthing start.  Licking won't fail us....but the mouthing and pawing will.  Once the licking starts, it's only a matter of time.  During the test I can correct with my voice and give instructions/praise, but I cannot treat or give corrections with the leash.

In our practice classes he HAS passed both of them, but not consistently.  Last night we had class from 8:30 to 9:30, and then BOTH instructors (one of which was the owner) and one of their 13 year old daughters stayed for 40 minutes extra to work one on one with Hans.  They are amazing and truly want to help dogs and owners.

Hans (and I) do much better with each other when we are in a class together.  It is a good experience for him.  If we pass the test I think we will try a "Performance" class.  They are a bit more athletic and active in content and will give us a fun way to connect and work on balance and him being aware of his body.  If we don't pass the test....then they are going to let me re-take a few weeks of Adult Obedience II and re-test in October. 

Katie started piano lessons yesterday.  She practiced last night with no major meltdowns - actually no meltdowns at all.  She did a nice job of keeping her patience.  I remember practicing trumpet pieces over and over - especially in the beginning and getting SO angry with myself and upset because I couldn't get them right the first few times.  Sometimes walking away and trying again tomorrow is a good idea.

Will is a little upset that he doesn't have homework yet.  Spelling lists start next week - so I'm enjoying the ease into our afternoon routine.  Will is supposed to be practicing his addition facts - sums through 10. 

Ha!  Yeah, right.  Yesterday in order for me to get him to agree to practice those, I had to promise him that we would do multiplication worksheets when we were done. 

No comments: