Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Carol Jeanette Hanson


I've been thinking about this post in my head for the past 2 days. I don't know where to start and worse yet, I don't know where to end.

Carol is my Dad's sister. My family lived with Carol up until I was in kindergarten and then again after I went to college. A couple years after I graduated college, Carol fell at home and broke her hip. She continued to live with Mom and Dad for a few years after that, and then around 2004 Carol went to live in the nursing home. She had been dealing with Parkinson's for years and pneumonia episodes off and on. This last one had been more difficult for her, but when I saw her about 2 weeks ago she said she felt pretty good - no pain, just more difficult to swallow.

I heard from my sister, Denise, yesterday after I dropped Katie at school. The staff at the nursing home didn't think Carol had much longer left and were notifying the family so that they could come to the home. I think it took me 30 seconds to decide that I was heading to Waukon as well. I threw some things into a bag and got Katie back out of school.

Unfortunately, Carol passed away before I could get back. Now, do I tell you about the drive, the phone calls, being able to see Carol again? OR do I tell you about how I was going 80+ miles an hour on the highway as great big trucks with signs that read "WIDE LOAD" pulled out in front of me almost on purpose, and as I am cursing the driver's judgement, we meet an oncoming cop car. This happened twice. :)


Or I could tell you how difficult it was to see Carol once I got to the home. And just as the knots are tightening in my stomach I hear there's a dog in the hallway. A dog belonging to my Godmother - an aunt on my Mom's side. It was the cutest, sweetest little thing - and oh yeah, the dog's name? Angel.

I don't think I could put into words how important Carol has been in my life - I'll try, but everything I type doesn't seem to do her justice. I'm the youngest in the family by 9 years. So by the time I was old enough to remember spending time with Carol - my brother and sisters had grown up and created lives of their own. We seem to have our own memories of Carol - some the same, some different. I remember reading with Carol nonstop. Since she had been a school teacher for so many years she had the PERFECT supplies to play school - which we did EVERYDAY. Every summer until I was around 11 was spent with Carol. She picked me up every Sunday for church and Sunday school. She took me to swimming lessons...and then home again after I ran out crying one day never to return to lessons. :) (Meanie coach)


Carol took me to softball practice everyday for 3 weeks when I was like 9, and wore THE BIGGEST, most funny looking sun hats I'd ever seen. :) Her grapevine was legendary - she was known to yell at ANY child who dare mess with it. Usually it was those darn Quillin boys. :)

And I didn't even tell you about the swingset yet! Carol was the best person to swing with. She didn't seem to care if the plastic seat literally cut into her hips. There was a poem we would always recite as we swung. About a year ago I was trying to remember it and couldn't even come close, as soon as I mentioned it to Carol she knew just what I was talking about and recited it perfectly.

If I had a spoon as tall as the sky
I'd scoop up the clouds as they floated on by.
I'd take them inside and set them to cook,
And see if they tasted as good as they look.

But see - I haven't even scraped the surface yet. I didn't mention her cookies, her garden, the times I talked her into taking me to the county fair even when she said she wouldn't, the years where I made her stay up WAYYYY past midnight for New Year's Eve...and then even cut up hundreds of little pieces of confetti because I needed to have a 'party.' I haven't even told you about how she helped me buy my books every semester during college - or how she helped me buy my couch for my first apartment. I feel blessed to have those memories, and to have had SO much time with her. Sunday would have been her 88th birthday, well, it STILL will be her birthday.

Kathryn Carol (Katie) and Carol - July 3, 2004 - Katie is almost 3 weeks old.

John William (Will) and Carol - August 12, 2007 - Will is 4 weeks old.
Ridiculous isn't it? Carol had super power strength!


In case any of you are interested, here is a link to Carol's obituary. Click on the link below and she should be on the right side of your screen.







9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Deb for taking a picture of the plague in the window, I did not even think of it, love the blog, and the pictures of her holding your kids, my god I forgot what kind of big baby Will was, how in the world did she not drop him, Katie is so tiny. great blog, makes me think of all the memories I have, with her. loved it, I am going to go thru my pics tomorrow. see ya friday.

Love ya,
Janet
Enjoyed our lunch today just us girls, first time in like forever. we need to do it again, soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like she was a great lady who left you with many great memories!

Anonymous said...

You were so fortunate to have each other.

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

I love you so very much, Deb. Carol is an important part of my post-high school/college memories. THE COOKIES! I'm very sad for your guys' loss - she was one of a kind.

And DAMN Will was a big baby!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your family's loss. I know that she really meant a lot to you and your family, we heard so many great things about her during college. Our thoughts are with all of you.

Jamie

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Aunt Carol. I always remember her from the high school days. She will always be alive as you keep her memory alive.
Take Care and Lots of Love
Gina

harassnave said...

I am sorry for your loss. Your post was beautiful - how lucky you were to have her in your life, and vice versa. You and the family will be in my thoughts.

Deb said...

Thank you everyone - I've really enjoyed reading your comments. Appreciate all the thoughts...

Cheryl said...

So sorry Deb, sounds like she was a great lady.