Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Party On! Why have one party when you can have THREE!

My watch has slowly been falling apart and I just now, as the page was loading, ripped the last piece holding it together. Thankfully, I found a watch in and amongst my aunt Carol's things. Time to break that baby out!

Last Saturday was a red letter day - Katie's first 'friend' birthday party. We had invited 7 friends, and as most of you know, I was having a rough time with RSVP's. I finally broke down and called everyone after only getting one response via e-mail. Turns out 2 girls could come, 2 boys could not, and 3 I left messages for.

Fast forward to the day of the party. I still had not heard from the other 3 parents so I prepared for up to 5 guests. Katie and I streamer-ed and ballooned all morning. I made sandwiches, fruit salad and a cake. The two girls we were expecting were the only guests to come, but that was fine with Katie.

Yes, it's as gooey and yummy as it looks. I put strawberries in the middle again, like last year. That way, the 5 pieces you eat are healthy!


The girls played with water balloons, colored flower pots, played balloon races, played animal charades, and explored Katie's room. That took all of 20 minutes. I tried to get everyone to have a sandwich, but Katie and Will were the only ones falling for that. Cake and ice cream went over much better, and then it was time to open presents. And although one little girl was upset that SHE didn't get to open anything, I think it went over well.


The girls - Brittan, Katie and Ria. All are going to different kindergarten schools next year. :(


Katie blowing out her candles...took a few tries.


The clock ticked slowly as we waited for the moms to arrive, and I began to praise my judgement for only allotting 2 hours for the party. In some ways 8 kids would have been harder, but in some ways easier. I doubt we would have burned through my games and crafts in 20 minutes, but then again it would have taken more than 15 minutes to clean up from the party.

Later that evening we had MORE guests as our friends, Jamie, Joe and Noah arrived. It was going to be such a nice day, we thought it would be fun to have them over for pizza and cake later. (My first and only piece of the day!) It turned out to be perfect outside. The kids had fun with the leftover water balloons and the sprinkler.


Noah is 9 months older than Will, but he looks so OLD here! He's carrying water to pour on his mom or dad.


Soon it got to be Noah's bedtime so Jamie and Joe took off for home. 10 minutes later the doorbell rings and there's MORE guests! We had invited Wade and Donna Hogan for supper too, but they couldn't come until later. They brought their friend, Tiffany, and the five of us sat around a bonfire toasting marshmallows and drinks until, well, 11? I don't think I really ever looked at my watch once the kids went to bed. That means it was a good day, right?

"MY birthday is next!"

1 comment: