Monday, August 24, 2009

A weekend in Iowa

This past weekend we spent visiting family in Iowa. It had been about 2 months since our last visit so we were excited to get back again.


On Friday the kids were able to get acquainted with their baby cousins who had gotten lots bigger since we saw them last. Katie liked talking to them now that they were making sounds and squeals. Will thought they were ok - he didn't pay too much attention to them, which in our experience is better that way.


Emily and Ethan - 4 months old (Jeff and Erica's twins)

On Saturday night the kids and I went to my cousin's wedding reception and dance. My cousin Megan and I were very close when we were kids - sleepovers and all that jazz so it was fun to see her all dressed up and happily hitched. Of course the kids had a good time - dancing and running around the ballroom.

I tried to get Katie to drink a Kiddie Cocktail, but it had 'bubbles' in it so she wouldn't touch it. I, on the other hand, was taken back in time to when I was 7 or 8 and went with my parents out to eat. It seemed like once a week we'd head over to Prairie du Chien's Blue Heaven and the bartender - (who I can't remember his name, but it was always the same guy) - would make me a Kiddie Cocktail with extra cherries. So, I got a full dose of nostalgia with my wedding drinks - which were free. Will discovered he quite liked them and sucked my last one down before I got much of it.

On Sunday the weather turned beautiful and the kids had a great time out at the farm. They went on four-wheeler rides and ran around outside in general. John took me for my first four-wheeler ride in about 3 years. We explored some new land that the family recently purchased and checked out John and Jim's fencing job from that weekend. I also got to drive the four-wheeler, and didn't do too badly. I almost threw John off the back, but once I got the shifting under control it was much better.


Katie and Will pretending to take a ride.

"Mom says I have to be HOW OLD before I can drive a tractor???"


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the bartender's name at Blue Heaven is Jack,he lives two blocks from us.
boy them babies are sure growing,.

thanks for the pics
Janet

Deb said...

That's right - sounds familiar If I came to visit would he make me more cocktails? :)

Anonymous said...

Jack is no longer a bartender and Blue Heaven not there anymore Jack is on city council in pdc. Tell Katie I was in her room her and Grandma is so proud she cleaned her room here. Wow Good Job, Katie

Deb said...

I know Jack isn't at the BH anymore - I meant if I come over to his HOUSE will he bartend for me. :)

Anonymous said...

i always thought kiddie cocktails were "kitty cocktails!" i'm so stupid...

sarah