Thursday, October 27, 2011

Saying Goodbye

This has been a week of goodbyes....

I had the Disabled American Vets come pick up a donation of clothes and household goods on Wednesday.  John cleaned out his closet, as did I.  I had also been sorting the kid's clothes for a while and donated ones that I didn't think would sell at a garage sale.  Included in this pile was our high chair and their old convertible car seat. 

Honestly, it took me a long time to be ok with letting these two items go.  I knew we weren't going to be getting any use out of them and they have both been collecting dust for a while.  So, I set everything out in the driveway and made peace with letting them go.  I'm sure someone who needed them would find them.

That's why I was so surprised 2 hours later when I returned to find everything picked up, EXCEPT the high chair and car seat.  Suddenly these sentimental items have now become annoying bulky space eaters!!  How quickly things change. :)  I don't know why they didn't get taken....I've donated car seats to them in the past.  So, they'll get posted one last time on Freecycle, then I'll load them up and try Once Upon a Child.  I can't really stomach throwing out the car seat.  It's so ironic....the one item I spent hours researching, testing, to be sure it would keep my loved ones safe - is the one item that might have to be thrown away at the dump.

Also making it's way out of our house is Will's train table and train/track set.  He picked out 2-3 trains that he didn't want to sell, but we posted the rest along with the table on Craigslist yesterday afternoon.  By 5:00 I had 3 people wanting to come ASAP and pick it up.  I notified the first responder and her husband just picked it up this morning.  I bought the table and train/track set almost 2 1/2 years ago off Craigslist for $80.  It was Will's 2 year old birthday present.  We have video of him coming downstairs to find it, and it's just adorable.

So I thought I'd try to sell it for $80 and see if I could get my money back.  Not only is it bittersweet to let it go, it's gut wrenching to know I could have probably gotten $100 for it. :)  That's ok.  Will is past the train stage....on to Superheroes.

Oh, and Will got $10 for selling it - after all, it WAS his table. He's got his eye on a Zurg toy from Toy Story.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know most places will not take used car seats; there is no way of telling if they have been in an accident. It's a liability issue :( and yes it does seem wasteful. We are a throw away society.

Anonymous said...

i FOUND OUT IT WAS NICE TO GET RID OF SOME JUNK TOO. oNE HIGH CHAIR WENT TO BEV LARSON OLIVIA WANTS THE OTHER ONE AT HER HOUSE AND THE BOUNCY SEAT WENT TO DANA AND THE LITTLE GUY WAS LAYING ON COUCH JUST LOOKING AT THE CEILING AND WHEN I PUT HIM IN THE CHAIR HIS EYES GOT WIDE AND HE SAT LOOKING AT THE TIMES ON THE TRAY. GOOD PLACES FOR ALL AND I'M STILL CLEANING OUT SOME MORE JUNK.