Thursday, May 24, 2012

My Vacation

Did I mention that I don't have "Pebbles" this week?  This is the first week that I've not had her while the kids are still in school.  So that means M-W-F this week I have 2 1/2 hours all to myself.  On Monday I went for a 7 mile bike ride, showered and got ready all by myself.  Yesterday I went for a run (my fastest 3 mile run in just over 28 minutes!), showered and dyed my hair.  Friday I already have plans for a run as well.  It really is feeling like a vacation.  Not to mention the fact that Will and I can run errands in the afternoon instead of trying to cram everything into 2 hours in the morning.

Will and I also had lunch with Katie at school on Tuesday.  We are having lunch with her again today, but bringing Subway this time.

It's a glimpse into what next year will be like for me.  Katie will be in 3rd grade (all day), Will will be in kindergarten (half days), and "Pebbles" will be in preschool (MWF).  So I will have about 2 hours 3 times a week to myself again!  A nice treat for myself every other day - the first regularly scheduled "break time" in over 8 years. 

My "professional" photo from race day. 
The photographer was sitting on a bridge as you came around a corner. 

One more thing.   Happy Birthday today to my aunt Carol.  She passed away in 2009, and would have been 91 today.  I imagine having conversations with her about my racing this past weekend.  If I close my eyes and am very quiet I can hear her clear as day.

"Oh, my.  Why would you want to do something like that?"
"It just doesn't sound like it would be a good thing to do."
"Don't you think you'll get hurt?"
"Wouldn't it be nicer to just walk?"
And no matter how many reasons I give her, she'll still just sit quietly, shaker her head and disapprove. :) 

It makes me smile.

3 comments:

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

And then she'd hand you a cookie! Good Lord, I'd give my right arm for one of Carol's cookies.

Proud of all you're accomplishing! And so, yeah - in your free time - you can come visit me. :-) Make sure I don't break my kid.

Anonymous said...

your Carol comments are tooo funny!! I can hear her saying the same thing :) she always had a way of expressing her disapproval without really disapproving??? and Shelley you will be fine you will not break your kid....now your kid on the other hand may break you...I hope your money tree is well watered :)

Denise

Anonymous said...

and I can hear Carol saying that same stuff, and I too was thinking of her yesterday, wishing she was here so I could tell her about all Jordan has accomplished, but I know she is looking down on us and smiling, and feeling her with us here, I made her Rhubarb cake today to make myself feel better, lol

Janet