Saturday, July 14, 2012

My first real swim

So I went swimming by myself for the first time last Thursday.  I did activate my free 3-month Lifetime membership and I was right - it's a full 3 months.  The great news is that the kids can come with me for free.  There's no extra charge for them to go to the kid's place while I work out and they can also go swimming with me later.  

Katie was spending the afternoon with friends so I dropped Will off at the play place and went off to swim.  There were lap lanes open so I didn't have to share.  I'm not quite smart enough to do that just yet, let alone good enough.  I decided to use a kick board first - no arms, just work on my kicks and see how effective they are.  Boy, it was a LONG way down the length of the pool.  I think my kicks could be a lot better and hopefully they'll be able to give me some pointers at my lessons.  I did 4 lengths of the pool with the kickboard, then 2 lengths swimming freestyle, then another 2 with the kickboard and finally 2 more freestyle.  That's 5 laps total, half of what would be done in the tri.  Each time I got to a wall, I waiting 30-60 seconds at least.  I'm not at a point where I can just keep going.  Also, the last lap I did freestyle I had to switch to a backfloat about 3/4 of the way down each time.  BUT, I feel comfortable on my back and can at least keep moving.  I just can't see where the hell I'm going. 

I keep reminding myself it was this way when I started running.  Remember?  Remember when I could only run 1-2 minutes at a time and running a whole mile seemed downright laughable?  Like anything else, it WILL get easier.  Any progress towards improvement will give me the positive boost I so need right now.  It was a bit disheartening to struggle so much.  It's hard for me to not be able to do something, and even harder to admit it to other people.  I may be able to get in the water today - depending on the kids.  If I can talk them into letting me swim first this afternoon....then I'll be able to get a few minutes in.  Otherwise, I think I should focus on lifting some weights at home and working on upper body strength - of which I have none it seems. 

Next week I start my lessons.  Every Thursday night at 8 for 3 weeks. If nothing else, it's more time in the water. 

2 comments:

Deb said...

I wrote this yesterday - so an update: I DID get in the water yesterday - took the kids swimming and Katie LOVED the two waterslides and the fact that she was big enough to go down them and a good enough swimmer to not need the lifeguard's help at the bottom. I was able to get Will to NOT go down the slide.
Then I set the kids up coloring while I went and swam inside. I did 3 laps (because I was not sure how well the kids would listen this first time....) It took me 9 minutes because I rested a lot, BUT I swam it all freestyle, with the occassional backfloat on the last lap. I felt like breathing was a bit easier - although I didn't put my face completely underwater....just like halfway, but I could turn and take a breath.

Earlier in the day I also did a Netflix workout video on arms, shoulders and backs. I figure that should help my strength and endurance as well - can't hurt.

Today we are heading to a Twins game, so no workouts planned. I'm going to try to go for a longer run tomorrow because I actually know how to do that.

Katie said...

Good for you Deb!