Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Olympics are coming!

After this whirlwind of birthday action, Katie informed me that we forgot Molly's birthday which we had assigned to the 23rd.  Oh well.  She seems ok with it.  She's 2.  Things like that happen as you get older.

I fell down the stairs last Saturday and rolled my ankle.  It hurt more than anything I recently remember - thought for sure I cracked or broke something, but after I was able to put weight on it about a hour later we decided that x-rays could wait.  We had tickets to go to Batman, and a babysitter was on her way.  I did have an x-ray on Sunday and they didn't see any cracks or breaks - just a sprain so they gave me a splint and told me to stay off it for 2 days.  Yeah, like that's gonna happen.  But thanks to John I was able to spend most of Sunday off it, and took the splint off yesterday.  It feels pretty good - I can walk without a limp.  There are moments when it hurts - going down stairs, some ankle circles, etc.  But overall it's pretty good.  When I was rolling the trash cans out last night I even tried jogging back up to the house and it felt ok.  Did some jumps on it, and it held up fine.  So if it's going to be a little cooler this weekend maybe I can work in a 2 mile run or so to see how things are.  My tri is 2 weeks from this Sunday!

I have my 2nd swimming lesson tonight.  My instructor is Amy and she is very encouraging and has really helped me with my flipping over in the water.  I still need to tweak my breathing though.  I swam last Friday - before the fall.  All the lanes in the 25 meter pool were taken and I didn't feel like lane sharing.  So I went to the lane in the other pool, but it's only 20 meters.  I was able to do 10 laps (400 meters) and did NOT feel like throwing up!  I didn't feel like I was overly exhausted - although I still did some resting at each wall (30-120 seconds).  I would have done more but I was getting frustrated because I kept getting mouthfuls of water and not enough air.  I think I just need to turn over more when I breathe.  However, my turns onto my backfloat and then returning into a front float were great.
The race director of the tri even e-mailed me back (because I had sent her a question) and verified that their goal is to have a noodle swimmer every 25 meters.  Other than 20 noodle swimmers they will also have 15 lifeguards and 3 boats in the water.  She pretty much guaranteed me that they would save my butt if I needed it.

I also fully expect to be inspired by watching the Olympics which start tomorrow!  Opening ceremonies start at 6:30....swimming and men's gymnastics start Saturday night.  To get you through til then, here's some shots of Katie from gymnastics camp a few weeks ago.



2 very short videos....sorry for the blurry footage.  My camera was losing power!



1 comment:

Katie said...

Good for you Deb!

Is it a relief to hear from the race director that they'll have noodle volunteers where you need them???