Friday, February 20, 2009

I need to reminisce

Last night I watched ER. This used to be a television show I watched religiously, but over the years, favorite characters have left the show and time for TV has somewhat diminished. This happens to be the last year for the show and in these final weeks the 'powers that be' have decided to bring back favorite characters from the early years.

So last night Dr. Carter (Noah Wylie) made his return to ER. I enjoyed the reunion and look forward to the final weeks, even if the ending seems like it might not be a happy one.

So why is the show such a big deal to me? Good question...after all, it's just a glorified soap opera. I suppose my sentimental attachment to the show started in college. I was already 'hooked' on the show before my freshman year, but as time progressed I enjoyed it even more. Girls may not be able to bond with each other over their majors, their families, or their lifestyles - but they CAN bond over ER. Whether it was the screams as George Clooney took to the screen or the tears shed during an emotional story line - it seemed to be a show that brought us together....literally. My senior year of college found me living in a campus apartment with 5 other girls. On Thursday nights at 9:00 you could find between 10-15 girls, 4 pizzas, and countless bottles of pop and water strewn about. (why didn't we ever drink beer with our pizza?) It may not seem like much to an outsider, but it really did cement friendships.

There's also the acedemic side to the show that people may forget about - really! I'm not kidding. :) It helps that half of the audience in our apartment had majors in the medical field. So when terms like diverticulitis popped up - they were quickly explained to yours truly, the lone math major. I swear I learned something.

I guess what's important here is that each of us has something in our lives that we are nostalgic about. So, take some time to revisit yours. I plan to next Thursday...although John pobably won't be joining me. :) Last night during the show I found myself talking to myself. "No way!" "Come ON!" and "YAY!" could be heard muttered downstairs. John was perched on the couch upstairs, and I believe he was laughing at me. :)

Here is Will sproting Katie's boots, and his recent haircut....done by me. I think it looks fairly ok.

3 comments:

Heather said...

that's awesome.. yes, I do remember those Friends and ER Thursdays in your apartment. I think I managed to get to one of two of those gatherings with you guys. I was bummed I couldn't make it to more, as I always had those crazy Thursday night timesaver classes that I was in. oh, the memories.

Deb said...

Oh yes those silly school responsibilities ruined everything! I seem to recall I tutored on some Thursday nights too, but always skipped out an hour early on those nights.......shhhhh....don't tell Sister Harriet!

Anonymous said...

I also watched ER on Thursday night, and it was so great to see Dr. Carter again... although it seems like there is going to be a heart wrenching story behind his return. Anyhow, I totally agree, it really brought back some great memories of us all crowded around the TV and sharing some bonding time! Thanks for reminiscing :)!

Jamie