Thursday, February 12, 2009

Readin' and Watchin' Update

Boy the weather sure has improved. We haven't had any sun up here, but the temperature has stayed above 20 for a good week now. We've even had some rain which has helped to really melt the snow. I can see lots of grass in our yard now! I'm sure it won't stay this way, but it helps to remind me that this (winter) too shall pass.

John and I watched "There Will Be Blood" this week. Daniel Day-Lewis won the Oscar for best actor last year...it takes us about a year to catch up on movies. It's the story of an oil man on a ruthless quest for wealth during the early 20th century. Wow - it was very good...kinda freaky, but very well done. A couple weeks ago we watched "Into the Wild." Hmmm...as John said, it was kind of a downer. :) We had both read the book a few years ago - it's about a guy in his early 20's who gives up everything he owns to live a life in the 'wild.' His dream is to trek across the beautiful, yet harsh land of Alaska - which ultimately kills him. (Sorry - spoiler alert!) I wanted to see the movie because Sean Penn directed it, and it had a decent soundtrack filled with lots of Eddie Vedder music. Both the book and the movie left a bad taste in my mouth - I just can't stand the main character. I don't like his arrogance.

Next - I think I need something lighter to watch. So we are getting "Burn After Reading" with George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Frances McDormand, and John Malkovich...what a cast. Even lighter yet..."Hannah Montana: The Movie." I thought I had heard that it was opening this weekend, so I told Katie about it and said that we would go together next weekend. (For some silly reason, John is not at all interested in this one.) The problem is, I heard wrong...the movie doesn't open til April 10th....oops. So hopefully she will forget if I just don't bring it up anymore.

On another front - I started reading "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer. I am impressed with it so far. I really enjoy it! It's definitely a 'chick' book, but not an overly sappy story. It has an edge to it. It's also this author's first book - which also surprises me. Guess you gotta start somewhere. It reminds me of "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova - great book! That was her first novel as well and dealt with the 'blood drinkers'. :) (Thanks to Shelley for that one!)


I think Katie gets her style from me.


As if I didn't have enough competition for the iPod. I downloaded a 'game' geared for Will. It has about 12 pictures of animals. You touch the picture and the animal makes the corresponding sound. He really likes it and is learning the names of the animals...although he doesn't get to do it very often.
It's about naptime now - the kids are playing quietly downstairs...too quietly. Better go check.

No comments: