Monday, February 2, 2009

Joint Resolution

This year I didn't really make any New Year's resolutions...not that I do any year. But a few weeks ago I had been to see our chiropractor for an adjustment and was told they were having a blood drive on Valentine's Day. Hmmm...that's always something I think I should do - but never have. Chalk it up to fear of needles, blood, etc. But even since I was pregnant with Katie I have felt an obligation to donate blood.


I was tested for many things while pregnant, as are everyone. I never even knew my blood type. They tested for something called your "Rh factor". It came back that I was Rh negative, which means that there was a possibility that my blood and the baby's blood would not mesh well. For subsequent pregnancies there would be a greater chance of miscarriage unless I subjected myself to a few shots here and there. These days it's really no big deal. Through this whole process I learned that my blood type is AB-.


The most common type of blood is O. They are called universal donors and can donate to anyone. The rarest type is AB-. That'd be me. Less that 1% of the entire population has this type of blood. We are called universal receivers...we can receive blood from almost anyone. (How selfish of me.) But sometimes a perfect match is needed, and since I have a rare blood type, I've always felt that I should do my part.


I mentioned this to John one night and he was all for donating too. Like me - he had never given blood, but always felt it was the thing to do. So, we are both scheduled to donate blood for the first time on Valentine's Day. How romantic. We won't be going at the same time since someone has to stay home and watch the kids, but still...maybe we'll sit in the same chair or something.


Some of you may be familiar with my history on V-Day. I like to call it a curse....For the last 3-4 years something bad has happened that evening. I had a very bad flu one year, went to the emergency room another year, and last year our furnace quit...all on the same day. I'm thinking this is the year to turn it around.


Should I mark it as a charitable donation on my taxes? :)

Been awhile since we had a cute picture...

7 comments:

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

He is going to hate you for that picture someday. :)

Anonymous said...

I passed out while giving blood in high school, so I haven't done it again. I guess maybe I should give it another try? I'll see how it goes for you first!

I love checking out your blog, there's always something intersting to read! Your kids are adorable, looks like you guys have a lot of fun together!

Tina

Anonymous said...

Advice from your going on 6 gallons MIL: Drink a lot of water and eat the day you give blood. Wonderful thing to do for Valentine's Day!!!!!
Also don't watch the needle going in - unless you really want to.

Deb said...

Good tips! And no - I will NOT be watching the needle!!

Anonymous said...

I echo the advice on eating and drinking. The more you drink the less time it takes and the more you eat the better you feel afterward :) Really not bad you can do it! We have the same blood type AB- (could we be related???)haha

The pic of Will -- I see many uses in the future years for that one!!! Kinda like Sarah's with the angel wings in her underwear!!!!

Denise

Deb said...

Oh yeah - Sarah has some good pics...maybe we should put those on the blog!

Heather said...

good luck in the blood donating.... let me know how it goes, as I totally think that is great to do but never could chalk up enough courage. awesome pics! Williamina returns!