Friday, November 5, 2010

30 of Thanks

November seems to be the month everyone posts 1 thing a day that they are thankful for.  Well, I don't have the discipline to do it every day, so I thought that I would do 30 all at once....here goes....

I'm thankful for....
1.  My husband, John.  He is wonderful!  Thanks to John's hard work and easy-going lifestyle, he's the reason I've been able to stay home with the kids for 6+ years.  He's usually pretty easy to please and has no temper whatsoever, and patience that goes on and on.  Seriously, his fuse is miles long!

2.  My 2 kids....Katie and Will.  A no brainer, right?  These 2 are great, and I can't remember life without them.

3.  My parents.  Married for 48 years, they provided a safe and loving home for our family, instilled a powerful work ethic, and spoiled me - the baby.

4.  My brother and sisters.  (Yes, even my brother.)  As we've all gotten older, we've grown even closer. 

5.  My in-laws.  My husband's family is terrific!  They've always treated me like one of the family.

6.  Our neighborhood.  It became evident while trick-or-treating how many great neighbors we have.  So many made such a fuss over Katie and Will, knowing that they are the two "little" ones in the neighborhood.  We even had people bring things over to the house for our kids because they weren't going to be home for Halloween, but still wanted to make sure the kids felt special. 

7.  Our church.  It took me a while to find a church I really felt comfortable in.  The first Sunday we attended church here - I knew we'd found our spot.  The bulk of their ministry is about helping to provide for those in need.  So, our church doesn't have the biggest kitchen or the fanciest instruments, but they sponsor schools in El Salvador, help provide weekly meals for members of the community, buy Christmas gifts for shelter kids, etc. 

8.  Our schools.  Living in the midwest, we really are spoiled by having such great teachers and school systems.  Katie's 1st grade teacher is very warm, compassionate, caring, organized - seriously, my favorite teacher of hers, so far.  Will's preschool teacher is so energetic, creative, and caring.  He blushes whenever we talk about her.

9.  Our home.  (even messy) I'm glad to have a roof over our head and warm beds everynight.

10.  Sunny days.  If it's going to get cold, which (odds are) it will, I'm happier as long as the sun is out.

11.  Books. Now that Katie is reading, books have taken on a new meaning for her.  I'm thankful that I have time in the day to read when I want.  (Even if it's fluff)

12.  Friends.  Again, seems like a no-brainer.  I'm thankful that I have a few friends from high school and college that won't ever disappear.  Conversations pick up right where they left off.   I'm thankful for the new-er friends I've made as well.  These "mommy" friends are priceless when you need someone to lean on and remember you are not alone.

13.  My body.  I can still move, bend, stretch, etc.  (Even though I've been SOOO sore the last 2 days...)  I can run, walk, breathe.  Usually you don't know how long you'll get to do these things, so each day you can is good.  :)

14.  The cat.  Ok - there I said it.  I'm glad we have a pet you can actually touch.  Although it gets harder to love her when she is constantly dumping over the garbage can....

15.  My nieces and nephews.  (Not that I intended for you to come after the cat....)  It's been such a joy watching you all grow up, make decisions on your own.  Remembering when you were all born and what an excitement you were...

16.  Our country.  Seems like one of the better places to live.

17.  Family members who have died.  Some I'd only gotten to know briefly, others played a big role in raising me.  I'm thankful I had a chance to spend time with them.

18.  Having an opportunity to be a stay-at-home mom.  I've been able to do lots of volunteer work in the last year or so - at school and with non-profits.  I'm thankful I've had this time...and also thankful that I'll get to go back to work outside the home someday too. :)

19.  Beer.  (It's Friday, ok.??)

Getting a little harder now.....I'm going to post this 1-19....and get back to you with 20-30.  Is that cheating?  No.  It's my blog - I make the rules.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very nice Deb, and yes we have grown closer all of us siblings, and the cat well get a garbage can with a lid that is what we did when Felicia was tipping it over, just an idea, I to am thankful for beer.:) you are thankful for alot of the same things as me, but I have my own husband and own inlaws..lol great post....cannot wait for 20-30..

love ya
Janet