Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Lunchtime!

We're a couple months into 1st grade now, and I think we're getting the hang of the whole thing.  The day doesn't seem to be too long for Katie - she's not overly cranky. (Except on the weekends when the schedule is nonexistent)

Katie has a field trip this Friday - just as the weather is about to turn on us, of course.  Her and her class are visiting a farm in the area that is part of the park district and offers tours, classes, etc.  They'll be there all morning...outside.  So let's hope that it isn't snowing and blowing.

She has to take a lunch with her because they won't make it back in time to eat at school.  She's taken her lunch one other day as well, and I'm hoping to get into the habit of 1-2 times a week, but haven't been organized enough for that yet.  Eating at school is certainly less work, but as I write the 3rd lunch check for $43.00, I'm wondering if it's worth it.  In about 20-25 years the lunch price has about doubled.  I remember being able to take a $10 bill, and that would buy me a 10 punch lunch ticket.  Now, it's $2.15 a day, I guess the increase isn't that bad.

As I've been thinking about things to pack for Katie's lunch I've been thinking about my own school lunching experience.  When I was in 1st grade, I took my lunch every day.  I didn't eat a school lunch til sometime in 2nd grade, I believe.  I was worried they would force me to eat things that I didn't like.  Honestly, I didn't like much of anything. 

I had a ritual every morning...same thing every day.  Dad wakes me up.  I get dressed, have a bowl of Captain Crunch while I watch Bozo The Clown.  Finished getting ready for school, and Dad and I would load into the car because I got a ride to school....even though my brother had to walk.  Hey - I'm the baby, remember?

I still needed stuff for lunch.  I would make a peanut butter sandwich at home.  No, not PB&J, just PB.  I didn't like mixing the two.  At that time, it was still ok to take peanut butter to school.  Now, it's much different.  Before we go to school, Dad and I would drive down to Kwik Trip where Mom was at work.  In those days she had to open the store at 5, or some God awful hour, so we'd pop in so I could say hi and grab some much needed lunch necessities.  Here's my list that I picked up every day....

1. Peanut butter sandwich (from home)
2.  A bag of cheese balls
3.  A Twix bar
4.  A bottle of orange juice

I'd cram all these things into my stylish red Kwik Trip insulated lunch bag, and I'd be off.  Mom and Dad never pointed out that eating lunch at school would be much cheaper than my current menu, not to mention healthier. :)  However, in those days they were happy to see me eat anything....  Plus, I'd save half of my cheese balls and one Twix bar for after school snacking.  See, how I budget?

Now that I've made you all sick...see if you can eat my school lunch menu for a week straight.  I know I couldn't.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez !!!! Hahahahaha I don't even remember half of that but I do know you had to get your own lunch ready cause I never knew what you would want. But you were a little creature of habit Hahahhahaha I wanted you to eat what you wanted so you wouldn't be hungry all day.

Deb said...

Heck yes!! And to show you how much I love the stuff, I had Twix in the cupboard for the last 2 weeks and I have a giant container of cheese balls on the fridge right now....

Anonymous said...

Hey, I remember we had to walk to school, you were very spoiled....I always ate at school, I do not remember taking cold lunch, now the high school has machines with milk, juice, snacks etc. Jordan hates eating at school, in fact he goes to kwik trip what the heck is this dejavu? I give him a couple bucks a day... now I know where he gets it from...

Janet