Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Heat wave

Boy it's nice out today...and yesterday was beautiful too!  Tomorrow is supposed to rain, but still not get very hot.  It's supposed to be 95 here on Sunday.  Did I mention that I have a 5 mile race on Sunday? :) 

I was supposed to get in a 4.5 run yesterday....but I didn't get on the treadmill at naptime and John golfed late so I didn't get one in last night.  I was thinking about calling the neighbor girl to come over, but there was no answer when I called.  So, I figured that I'd get up early and run this morning....but 6:10 rolled around and I could NOT yank my butt out of bed.  The next thing I know, it's 6:32 and too late to run and make it back by 7 in time for when my "Pebbles" (1 1/2 year old) drops in.  Luckily it's still nice out so I'm determined to get a run in tonight.  Then, maybe a shorter run on Friday night.....then rest up for Sunday.

But, to be honest, I know I'm not going to be able to run the whole 5 miles when it's 95 degrees out.  So I'm not as concerned with "training" for it at this point.  I'll run a bit, walk a bit, yadda, yadda, yadda.  I know I'll finish just fine - but not in 50 minutes like I wanted.

I don't know why the "time" I run is so important to me - just a trait I guess.  I feel like I have to get faster....rather than just do it.  I'm getting better at that...but timing myself is still on my mind.  I think it's just proving to myself that I can do it.  Breaking the 5k in 30 minute mark was a great feeling, and I've slacked off ever since. :)  So maybe timing myself isn't the best idea.

Also - it's not that I like running.  But I don't have a lot of free time in a day, and I can get a real sweat worked up in 25 minutes.....and it's free.  So I feel like I get a big bang for my buck, so to speak.  But I was thinking about when someone "becomes" a runner.  Is everyone a "runner"? (Just non-practicing) :)  If I run 50 feet am I a runner?  If I run 50 feet every day, am I a runner?  Do I have to be able to run a mile?  Because when I started this last summer I sure didn't feel like a runner....could only run about 1/2 mile.  Now I can run 3.1 miles or more....and I still feel like an impostor.  :)

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm not a runner...not yet at least...I haven't even been trying to become a runner at my current fitness level...

I, personally, don't think you're an imposter at all.

So the ultimate question for a runner vs. a jogger (Cause you're moving more quickly than a walk, right?): http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs696.snc4/%3E/63606_1572356867289_1186541889_31396485_2522702_n.jpg%3E%3E