Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sunday's Race

I had my 8k race on Sunday....if you can call it a race.  I don't think anyone was "racing"....it was more of a journey.  Everyone was just trying to get to the end.  My friends, Anne, Vickie, and Vickie's husband ran with me.  Well, not WITH me.  They rock.  In fact, they rock AND roll.  The women are training for a triathlon in August and it's obvious that the work they are putting into their training is really paying off!!  They were awesome.

I ran the first mile, and although hot and sticky, wasn't too bad.  Still, I started walking/jogging after a mile.  The next mile and a half weren't too bad....spots of shade, lots of friendly neighbors sitting in their front yards with their sprinklers spraying on the runners.  (Along with 3 fire trucks on the route.)

That leaves mile 2.5-5......all sun....no shade....and blacktop.  It was along this section that two friends of mine were camped and ready with MUCH needed water.  Thanks Ingrid and Katie, it was a perfect spot and we all agreed that it was a good thing you were there. 

The last mile down mainstreet seemed to take forever!  It helped that there was a crowd lined up for a parade that would start an hour later....but I still couldn't run the entire way.  So, run a couple blocks, walk a block, etc.  In the end, it was a good feeling to having "done" it.  But I don't think I want to do much more than 5 miles for a while. :)  My time??  1:01:03.  My "perfect" goal time would be 50 minutes, but the fact that I was only 10 minutes over that, in a 108 heat index is a pretty damn good thing.

Here is Anne and I towards the beginning of the race.  If you look at Anne, it's obvious it's towards the beginning.  Looking at me, however, you'd think we were on mile 4. :)

Sweet, sweet finish.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Deb--way to go! I'm glad the water was helpful! It was fun reading through this post! You did an AMAZING job--I don't think I could have finished in the heat/humidity of today!

Do you see other races in your future?

Deb said...

I do want to do a couple more 5k's this season. I originally had two over the next two weekends, but with this week being so hot, I'm thinking I'm gonna skip next weekend and just do the one on the 30th in Chaska. Then I have two later in August and September in Chanhassen. Are you looking at any 5k's before your tri?