Thursday, January 26, 2012

A house of patients....and patience

Last week as Katie was sick, one member of our family was missing.  Molly spent the night at the vet's office Wednesday night recovering from surgery.  She had gotten spayed on Wednesday morning, and they kept her overnight.  We picked her up Thursday around noon.  Luckily, Katie was up for a ride to go get her.  The vet's office had given me pain medication for her and informed me that they were unable to administer any to her because "Molly hated them."  She always immediately tried to scratch and bite them anytime they came near her.  It made me feel quite good that she did nothing like that to us when we got her home and she let me give her her medicine every time we needed to.

They also sent her home with a "cone of shame", which the kids thought was funny at first.  But when they realized what a struggle it was for her to function with it on they felt quite sorry for her.  She is supposed to wear the cone for 2 weeks to prevent her licking and biting at her stitches.  At first I thought that 2 weeks was way too long, but it's been a week today....and I guess I'd rather keep it on as long as we have to so that we don't have to deal with re-stitching anything right before we leave for Florida.  I can't have Molly here at the house alone unless she's cone-free and back to her old self.  I do take it off once a day so that she can groom herself - it drives her nuts that she can't lick her paws and clean her face.  When she has it on, she pretty much just stays put in 1 or 2 places all day long and all night.  It's a chore just to make sure that she's eating and drinking. 

The gang watching old Bug Bunny cartoons on You Tube.

Molly hung out in Katie's bed with her for most of the day on Thursday.

Katie is back to her old self, I would say.  Will never really did get sick with anything.  John had just a touch of it, but was more tired and wiped out than anything else.  I'm glad that it seems to have gotten through us before our trip. 

Oh our trip - it's coming up and I'm busy getting things straight in my head preparing for it.  I think I have the packing some what organized out.  Katie and Will should be able to share a carry-on for their clothes and things.  My things should fit in the other carry-on and then we will check a bag with John's stuff and the kids' life jackets.  Some things are already packed because I doubt we will need flip flops and shorts in Minnesota in January. 

I've also got a few surprises for the kids for their bookbags that they'll take on the airplane filled with stuff to keep them busy.  Ok, they won't be "filled"....afterall, I'm hoping to have room to bring things back with us.  And traveling with a 4 year old and a 7 year old should be much easier than a 2 year old.  Just looking out the window should be pretty exciting for the first 30 minutes, and there's always the ipad and ipod to keep them entertained.  However - I have some surprise books and snacks that they haven't had before that I think will make the trip extra special.  Oh, and I ordered some books for John and I too that I think will be good.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

our cats had the "cone" also, it is very funny but again so sad.... wow I did not know that Molly was so defensive, sure tell she loves you.....and so glad to hear that Katie is feeling better, I finally got a netipot today after work, and omg it is amazing, love it. I already feel so much better after being miserable for a lousy week. please think of us in cold Wisconsin when you are in warm Florida......lol

Janet