Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Losing it

I've been scrambling lately because I feel like there are so many things going on that need to be done and taken care of, and there are only so many hours in the day.  Take yesterday for example...the three kids and I had to be out the door by 8:25 am to take Katie to school and to be in the music room by 8:40 to watch the 2nd grade class do their spring "Music Informance".  At this young age, instead of doing 2 concerts a year, they invite the parents to a music class to participate with their child and see what they have been learning.  It was lots of fun....and time well spent.  We were out of there at 9:10, just in time to get to a meeting at 9:30 for a non-profit I help with.  We spent 2 hours going over things there, then at 11:30 it was time to make a run for the grocery store to pick up lunch stuff for Katie's sack lunch today because they are on a field trip to the Mall of America.  We were out of the store by noon, just in time for an hour meeting back at Katie's school to talk fundraising with the PTO.  At 1:00 we finally trekked home to have some lunch and get the 2 year old down for a nap. 

Finally at 2:00 I had time to sit down and attack my to-do list.  I had until 3:25, so that gave me 85 minutes and was only interrupted for bathroom help, snacks, toy fixes, and book reading 8 times.  As you can imagine, I got LOADS done. (eye roll....)  Now usually, I can grab a good hour of solid work time in the afternoon because Will likes to go on the computer if his room is picked up.  On Monday I discovered that the old desktop won't boot up.  The light comes on when you power it up, but no fan, no beeps, no sounds, nothing.  So from taking an hour on Monday (that I shouldn't have spared) to troubleshoot the issue - it seems I may have to replace the motherboard....but I still have to open it up and take a look at it.  If I end up opening it, I may throw in some extra RAM too and see if we can't really re-vamp the whole system. 

So I think our of 85 minutes, I got about 15 minutes of work done.  That brings Katie home at 3:25, and the 2 year old up from her nap.  Now it's snack time and time to discuss the school day and before you know it, it's 4:00....and time to attempt to get Katie to sit and focus on her undone homework that is due the next day.  We had 6 pages of math and a spelling test to do because she had refused to do any of the homework since Friday. 

We finally got done around 5:30, the 2 year old got picked up, and now it was time to get supper going I was making a new casserole and the prep time said 20 minutes...with 15 minutes of baking.  Ok - should be done by 6:05.  After 3 doorbell rings (2 of which were people other than Will.....) and other random interruptions we were eating at 6:45.....talk about throwing the night off. 

The kids hadn't bathed in....oh, I don't know.....let's just be kind and say 8 days. (Actually I think that's close.....may have been 9.)  So I had earmarked Tuesday night for a bath, which meant bedtime didn't happen til after 8.  Finally at 8:30 I was able to sit down at the computer and get 45 minutes of more work in. 

So in 24 hours.....I got a whopping 60 minutes of time to get my own work done.  Let's see how today goes....for now, I'm going to take some time and make a list of stuff to get done.  (Bear with me)

- Finish Federal tax return
- Start/Finish state return
- Pay all March bills
- Get monthly #'s done for non-profit
- Finish monthly report for non-profit
- Finish correspondence for Area job for non-profit
- Finish said "training" for Area job for non-profit
- Complete 45 minute concussion training online for Will's soccer team
- Since there's no coach and I signed up to be "manager" for said team....I now have to do all coaching duties as well.  This includes contacting all parents to introduce myself and remind them about practice.
- Pick up team uniforms and get names put on the back for whole team
- Create a "treat schedule" as well as a "phone tree" for team
- Find Katie pink ballet flats for recital and pictures in May
- Call dance coach about pictures
- Pick up dance recital tickets at rec center
- Register for Easter party at Nature Center
- Troubleshoot whole computer problem and research the availability of a new motherboard.
- Mail in 2,200 Kemps milk caps for Katie's school
- Mail in 2,000 Kwik Trip caps for Katie's school
- Mail package of assorted baby stuff to pregnant friend


This is just stuff in addition to the normal daily stuff that has to get done too - I have 3 loads of laundry, a stack of dishes, and a kitchen floor so sticky I think the cat refuses to walk on it.  Not to mention that I still have hours and hours of episodes of Glee to get to. :)  I think I might treat myself to an episode today since it's been about a week since I've gotten to watch any....we'll see.  Enough complaining for now - it's a sunny day and time to tackle that list!

Oh crap, I can't - it's time to take Will to school.  Try again later, I guess.

No comments: