Thursday, February 7, 2013

Girl Scouts vs Boy Scouts

The Boy Scouts organization are making some very controversial, and, in my opinion - bad, decisions lately.  I had someone question my choice to have Katie in Girl Scouts because since they SOUND the same, they must BE the same.  I tried to explain how different they were and it sort of fell on deaf ears.  Just to be sure, I looked into it, and I was relieved to find that I was right.  Sorry Will, you won't be joining Boy Scouts anytime soon.

They were both started around the same time, but by different people and for different reasons.  They each make their own choices regarding policies.  For example, when I was in high school there was an issue with some girls not wanting to say "serve God" as part of the Girl Scout promise.  It was put before the powers that be and they said - Hey, you're right!  Not everyone has to believe in God, say what you want....insert another name for a power you DO believe in - Allah, Buddha, Mother Nature, etc.  Meanwhile the Boy Scouts still require a faith - you can't be an atheist, or gay.....especially gay, boy they do NOT like that. 

Because of this belief that everyone be included, the Girl Scouts have been identified as a liberal group with surprisingly radical policies.  (Oh, yeah, they teach girls reproduction facts as well - oh the horror!)  Another Group was started in the 90's called the American Heritage Girls which almost mirrors the Boy Scouts in it's backward thinking. 

The Atlantic had a good article about it - give it a read.

No comments: