Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Last day of winter

Tomorrow is the first day of spring!  So I fully expect the mounds and piles of snow everywhere (we got 3-4 inches more yesterday) to be all gone overnight, and tomorrow will be a warm, sunny 50 degree day.

Ok, can I at least settle for 30....and the snow can stay?  Sadly, I don't even think I'm going to get 30.  We may have to wait a bit for spring, but we got so spoiled last year with no snow by mid February that we forget what a true upper-Midwest spring is like.  Can I at least hope for 60 by Memorial Day?

We have Will's parent/teacher conference tonight.  I always look forward to those.  It's fun to hear things about him that we don't get to see first hand.  (The good and the not so good.  Although everything has been great so far.)  Katie's was last week and there wasn't much to say other than she's doing wonderful.  She is in a 4th grade math class and a 4th grade reading class where they just got done reading a 5th grade leveled novel.  She said that over the year she's noticed that Katie has her own way of doing things, and her own timeline for doing them.  She doesn't liked to be rushed, but rather take her time.  The teacher said that she gets her things done on time, but would just rather have control over when and how she works on it.  Yeah....I've learned that at home too.  It took me 8 years to see that....her teacher learned it in 6 months. 

Lent is about wrapped up too and while that announcement normally wouldn't make it to my blog, this year it does.  Do you remember when I posted a few weeks back about having to teach 50 kids about Lent each week?  Well I've done 4 weeks of Lenten Education....and now we are about done.  We'd get together for 10 minutes to talk Lent, then break up into groups because we were working on putting together a play for our final week.  Well, the final week is here and the play is set for Wednesday night. 

It's a simple one-act play (10 scenes), with about 50 kids involved as actors, props/sets, cheerleaders, dancers, etc.  We had a dress rehearsal last night for 2 hours.  It didn't go TOO bad....but holy cow was it stressful.  Actually, to be honest, it was a bit stressful for me, but also equally exhilarating.  It's kind of giving me a "high" to be in charge of such a production.  As director I haven't had to do too much week to week so far.  I have parent helpers who were running the scenes with the kids and putting the props kids to work making things.  That all changed last night.

Suddenly I had to deal with microphone assignments/changes, assigning kids to deal with props and setting the stage for each scene, entrances/exits, costume changes, staging, creating a backstage, etc.  It was a little overwhelming, BUT I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a good time. We are set to run through it one more time Wednesday, then we'll have a small pizza party followed by the real-deal show at 7:30.  It makes me realize that our church may be a bit more into drama productions than other churches. :)  Gee, 2 shows within 3 weeks of each other?  And then this summer we have a musical camp for kids set up too.  I guess we Lutherans like the overacting drama part of it all.   

No comments: