Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Day is cursed

I think we'll be prepared going forward. Ever year Valentine's day seems to be cursed. Something happens that is just plain bad news. 3 years ago, Katie was a baby, we had a very nice dinner at home for Valentine's Day. That night I don't know what happened to me but I got so terribly sick - was up the WHOLE night in the bathroom, threw up probably 20 times (no exaggeration). The following year, Katie was a little older and I think it was a couple days after V-day. I woke up in the middle of the night with severe pains in my abdomen and in my side. We went to ER, they did ultrasound, MRI, etc., found nothing. I did get pumped full of Demerol and felt much better, finally got sent home. I still don't know what was really wrong. Last year I was pregnant and I don't remember anything 'terrible' happening, other than being really uncomfortable, but it may have and I've blocked it out.
Now we come to this year. Last night after our wonderful supper we went to bed as usual. Will woke up around 1:30 and wanted to eat so I brought him into bed to feed him. Then I heard Katie on the monitor a little before 3 am. I thought at first she was talking in her sleep, but then she started yelling that she was cold and could she PLEASE sleep somewhere else! So I ran down to her room and sure enough it was kinda chilly. I brought her upstairs and John checked the furnace. It was not kicking in, the ignition was not working. In a 'balmy' 56 degree house I called the repair man, left a message, and we all crawled back into bed to wait. I don't know how, but we did all fall asleep for a short stretch here and there, and were awakened at 7:15 am with a phone call from the repair man. He came around 8:30 and replaced the ignition and filter. Happy V-day, says the homeowners :)

3 comments:

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

Don't you just love it??? Our furnace went out a few weeks ago in the subzero weather. Needless to say, sweaters and long underwear were the fashion statement during that day.

Anonymous said...

Well, as far as 'cursed' holidays go, Valentine's Day has less downside potential than, say, Halloween...

Jim

Anonymous said...

Glad everything turned out well. I had the usual Valentine's day too. No lobster dinner, no roses,just a trip to chiopractor for sore back from work. Hahahaha. Well there is always St. Patricks day. Love to all, Love Mom