Wednesday, September 10, 2008

New church?

Whew. I finally have a minute after things have finally calmed down this week. With Katie's first day of school and adjusting to that new schedule, things have been a little rushed.

Last Sunday, Katie and I went to a new Lutheran ELCA church here in Chanhassen. I've been meaning to check out a few churches in the area since we moved, but time has gotten away from us. And the few that we had seen were just TOO big. I like the feel of a small local church. Sunday school started this past week so I thought what a perfect time to take a look at this new one. I spoke to some people Sunday morning who got Katie involved right away. She was very happy. They suggested that I attend with her that first day, just to make sure. What a flashback it was for me. They sang some songs before breaking into their classrooms. Katie and I rocked out to "Jesus Loves Me" and "Father Abraham." I remember what a FUN song "Father Abraham" was when I was little, and it still holds true today. Katie and the other kids were laughing and having a great time with it. So far, I like what I see. Everyone was very welcoming and approachable - sometimes you don't get that with Lutherans. :)

They also have a children's choir for 3-5 year olds that meets every Wednesday for 30 minutes. I thought that would be right up Katie's alley - we'll try that next week. Hopefully we start to meet people in the neighborhood and maybe we'll see some familiar faces at kindergarten next year. But c'mon a group of 3-5 year olds singing...how cute is that?

1 comment:

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

Man - the moment you mentioned "Father Abraham" I started rocking out ... good for you. :) Tell Katie I expect to have her sing it for me.