Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Odds and Ends

There are lots of things I think to write about as I'm doing my day to day activities, but then I sit down at the computer and usually draw a blank. I think every now and then I will write about something other than the kids...so bear with me. :) I may give you a little background on myself, or post one of those survey things that make their way around the e-mail world...or better yet, have John post something. :)

First I want to announce a breakthrough on our end. Will's sleeping situation has gotten infinitely better in the last week or so. We changed up his nap time, put him to bed a little earlier, and BAM...he sleeps from 7:30 to 4 or 5 am...wakes for 10 minutes or so, nurses then goes right back to sleep til 7-7:30. I had been putting him down for a nap after lunch with Katie. Then one morning he fell asleep earlier - like 10:30 am...slept a few hours, and then had a great night. So far so good...I love sleeping at night again. I've only been getting up 2 or more times a night for the last 17 months (if you count bathroom breaks in pregnancy!)

Today Katie and I created a little chore chart for her. We put about 6 daily 'chores' on there that she gets to put stickers on if she completes them every day. For example, she is very good about putting her plate in the dishwasher after meals - so that is on there. Help set the table, clear the table, pick up toys, and brush teeth also made the list. Katie is wonderful, but I wish she would help out more with things like this - I think this will help. Then when she gets like 20 stickers or something like that - she gets to do something special like golf with dad, go bowling with mom, etc. I think rewarding with special time is more important than a toy or food treat...and cheaper too.

I actually wish I had a chore chart for myself. I think that if I had a list of all my daily 'chores' up on the wall I would get excited to put a sticker by them as I finished them.

That's Will, the climber. He climbs up on the table now so he can have a closer look at Betty, the fish. (She is doing great, by the way! Hey...feed the fish...there's another chore for Katie's chart!)

When I say 'closer look' I mean a WAYYYY closer look.


Katie is also very proud of the fact that she has mastered the art of 'pumping'.

3 comments:

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

Will you make me a chore chart too? Maybe I'll get my office cleaned if you do that for me. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the pic of Will looking at Betty :) Good luck with the chore chart, Sarah was never very good at it and I was really bad at enforcing it! Katie is more cooperative though :)Sarah is running in Starmont tonight better night than Sat morning in West Union!

Denise

Anonymous said...

I also love the pic of Will looking at Betty, I never did realize his eyes would get so big, and the chore chart, we to did not have very good luck, but like Denise says katie is more cooperative, Will probably won't be when it is his turn, so beware.
Deb, you can babble on all you want about anything, I love reading this blog.

Janet