Sunday, December 7, 2008

Santa Claus - Part 1

After church today, the community rec center had a "Breakfast With Santa" event. It was a fundraiser for local charities with unlimited pancakes and sausages. After we had all had our fill of pancakes we went to visit Santa. As you can imagine, Katie was very excited. She'd been rehearsing her 'list' for a while now, but was suddenly drawing blanks.

Obviously, Will was not as excited. He was fine until he got up close to Santa - then not so much.

We have plans to go see Santa again on Tuesday at the Mall of America. Hopefully this 'trial run' has prepared Will for the next encounter. On second thought, it's probably scarred him more than even and he'll scream louder next time.




As we were putting on our coats, Katie informed me "You know Mom - that's not the real Santa." Quickly, I came up with an explanation - "You're right, Katie, I don't think that one is...Santa has helpers that help him talk to all the children, and then they tell Santa what you said." She was quite satisfied with that answer - I hope the next Santa is up to her 'standards.'

Also, on Saturday we had Katie's basketball practice/game. This was her 5th time participating on her Tiger team and we are HAPPY to say that she finally got a rebound!! It was so precious - she literally was in the right place at the right time. The shot went up - it bounced down right into her hands. She happened to be paying attention at that moment (which usually isn't the case) and caught the ball! Immediately John and I start yelling "YAY KATIE!!!" And then I realize that every other parent there was cheering for her too. They, too, knew that this was the first time she got the ball without it being given to her. It was a sudden uproar of cheers which put a HUGE smile on her face. She came close to another rebound later in the game as well. And by 'close' I mean she took a few steps toward the ball. :) She was so proud of herself after the game, you would have thought she just dunked the ball!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Oh Look out Sarah you are going to have competition now on the court. lol Good for you Katie. Love Grandma Lyla

Anonymous said...

haha, yeah, grandma i will have to look out!

-sarah

Drew Kluesner said...

So what made her believe this wasn't the right santa? Congrats on the rebound!

Deb said...

The beard that this Santa had wasn't a very good fit and it kept falling off his upper lip. He kept adjusting it, but c'mon! I didn't think she saw it, but I think she did...

Anonymous said...

I think we are going to have a super star,, sorry Sarah, but I think you taught katie a few pointers and now I think she can kick your butt at b-ball. hahaha. can not wait to see it, Tell Katie we are very proud of her. and the santa thing my god she is only four. she is talented, athletic, and smart. look out she will go straight to college.

Anonymous said...

Just heard school is getting out early so I hit the enter button, and I forgot to sign my name, it was from me the last comment.
Janet

Anonymous said...

Hi Pladsens!! We actually went to the MOA a few weekends ago and when we stopped to make a diaper change, I saw the Santa there eating dinner at Chipotle... and he looked great :)! I really don't think you will have any problems with authenticity at the MOA, I was sold,and so were all the kids plastered to the glass watching the poor man have his dinner :). Anyhow, I hope you have a great day at the mall! Be careful, the roads are bad.

Jamie