Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A book report...

I just finished a book the other day that I thought I would take time to tell you about. It's called My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. If you are in the mood for a gut wrenching, tear jerker - gee, are you in luck.

Some of my college friends recommended the book a few weekends ago. I got it from the library and was hooked by page 3...crying by page 60.

It's about this typical, everyday family. Their discovered their daughter had a very serious form of leukemia at age 2. Their other son wasn't a good enough match for donating things like bone marrow so they decided to have another baby - but this time they would genetically match her so that she would be able to donate cord blood, bone marrow, etc. for their other daughter.
Fast forward 13 years - the sick daughter is in kidney failure and needs a transplant. The younger daughter files a lawsuit for medical emancipation, claiming she doesn't want to be picked apart anymore and harvested. If she wins the case, she will lose her sister. If she loses the case, she loses her independence

It's certainly a heart breaking book - especially if you happen to have sisters (like I do).....and have children (like I do)........and happen to have a daughter named Kate (the daughter with leukemia is named Kate...gee, I have that too.) Do I have to explain to you why I was bawling by page 60?


They are in the process of making a movie out of this book as well. Unfortunately, it's being directed by the same guy that directed The Notebook. I haven't seen the whole movie, but in my opinion it was too sappy and fluffy...the book was much better - as is in most cases. Anyway they have a pretty good cast set.....Alec Baldwin will be the prosecuting attorney (great choice)....Cameron Diaz will be the mother (hmmm - not sure about this one)....Abigail Breslin will be the daughter suing her parents (GREAT CHOICE! I LOVE HER!). Anyway - keep your eye out for that this summer - June, I think. It'll probably be one of those cases where the book is much better - has there ever been a case where the movie is better?

Next, I am opting for something a little lighter. I am on the waiting list at the library for Twilight. (I hope I reserved the right one.) I am told the movie is good - who has time to go to a movie??? - I'll read the book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a GREAT book! The next one by her you have to read is "19 Minutes". Excellent! Sarah read that one too. If you have to wait to long for Twilight, Sarah got that one and the next one for Christmas and you can borrow hers :) I'm on another book "Outlanders" and until I get that done won't be reading Twilight.

Denise

Deb said...

I've heard good things about "19 Minutes" too.....