Thursday, January 15, 2009

A note from Katie

Today after breakfast, Katie wanted to do her usual drawing activity. Most mornings her and Will belly up to the table after breakfast and after we are dressed, and use crayons and paper to create their masterpiece. Today this was what Katie's said:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
KATIE RO DET

:) Do you get it? I asked her to read it to me. She said her alphabet and then "Katie wrote it." I asked her how she knew to write that sentence and she said that she just sounded out the letters. To say the least, I was pretty proud of that. :)

Yesterday we went to Will's 18 month check up. He checked out fine. He weighs just over 25 pounds (our home scale says 28) and is just over 33 inches tall. He still has a big head. :)

The only thing we are keeping an eye on is his speech. "They" say he should have between 10-15 words now - which he doesn't. I would say he has 3...at times. I told the doctor that we can never get him to say any words - but he'll say them on his own. She said this showed independence. (Yeah, right.) She also said that slow speech is a sign of early intelligence. What ever works I guess. :) So we decided that we would check in again in 3 months to see if there is any progress....maybe do a hearing check just to rule that out.

In the meantime, I hope everyone is staying warm. It's very cold up here, although bright and sunny. I have 2 loads of laundry to get folded before I start supper. We are having No Name steaks tonight...with some kind of vegetable(s) on the side. Should I set a place for you? :)

Katie's not cold...she's kickin' back on a beach.

4 comments:

harassnave said...

Faye will be 18 months in two weeks and she has no where near that many words! We should get her and Will together...so they can not talk to each other. =)

Anonymous said...

Will's got plenty of time to talk. Sorry the scale's not more accurate. Katie will be blogging on her own pretty soon.
Pladsens South

Deb said...

Mary - I think our scale - the one that you gave us is more accurate than any doctor scale. It's great because you can set up 4 individual users. So I have set up the kids and I...have to do John yet. :)

Anonymous said...

Speaking from personal experience, I wouldn't worry about the delayed speech quite yet. Jacob, our second child didn't really start talking until he was 2 1/2 years old. He had an older sister to do his talking for him :)