Thursday, September 10, 2009

Gotta go back, back to school again...

Note - the above title should be sung to the Grease 2 song "Back To School." It's a classic movie...like Casablanca. :)


So today was Katie's first day of kindergarten! FINALLY! I feel like we were the last people in the free world to start school! We had our clothes laid out the night before, along with a list of things that need to get done in the morning before we meet the bus.

1. Get dressed
2. Eat breakfast
3. Comb hair
4. Brush teeth
5. Put on shoes
6. BE FANTASTIC! (Added by John)

This morning went off without a hitch. It was TOO easy because there's no where to go but down. We were out waiting for the bus by 8:05, and the bus came at about 8:10.

"Wait for ME!!!"


I rode the bus with Katie today. I also rode home with her. While she was in school, the waiting parents were given projects to get ready for the school year. Some were cutting yarn, some were doing something with pine cones, I was tracing circles on paper plates, etc. I swear to God, ALL elementary schools smell exactly alike.

John took the morning off and stayed home with Will since siblings couldn't ride the bus. Tomorrow Katie will ride the bus on her own.

I really liked being able to ride with Katie the first day; get a feel for her bus route. She has about 10 kids on her bus and is the 6th one to get picked up. There are four stops after her before they get to the school. She's on the bus for about 30-35 minutes each way. This morning was a bit longer because the drivers were getting used to the routes. Her bus is also ONLY kindergartners.

So the REAL question is how did John and I do? John did fine - maybe he was crying on the inside. I, on the other hand, never cried, but felt very sick. My stomach was just in knots and I paced all morning. I didn't want Katie to feel anxious so I kept positive. She loved her first day - is excited to go back and made a friend named Jasmine.




That first step is a doosey.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Learning to hide your nerves is a very good mom skills to have. You will learn to develop it well.
Gina

Deb said...

You sound like a Jedi master - mom style. :)

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

I love that Katie has to wear a sign around her neck. :) I'm so proud of ALL of you!

Anonymous said...

Love the pic of Will chasing after! Too bad he could not go to because he is ALMOST ready :) Then you probably would cry being all alone!

It gets better and worse all at the same time! Seems like Sarah just started kindergarten too and now look at her :(

Denise

Anonymous said...

Contratulations to the whole Pladsen family on the big step.

M.

Deb said...

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, Katie has to wear "dog tags" til the bus drivers know her.

And I'm sad when I look at Sarah too, but for other reasons. :). Just kidding! Love u Sarah! :)

Anonymous said...

thanks a lot! haha, just kidding

sarah

Anonymous said...

yea, it is just one mile stone for you guys, the tears will start soon, and often, and I love the picture of Will chasing you guys, that is to cute. Katie you are such a big girl love you all. and yes grease 2 is a classic movie, I think I got you hooked on that one. lol (I have that movie)
Janet