Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My confession

I've been hitting a dry streak with things to post on the blog. Not too much is happening here and I tried to think about why that is. The only thing I can come up with is that I am watching way too much TV. (But, c'mon...it's Minnesota...AND it's February. There aren't a lot of options.) Now I know, you're gonna say I could play games with my kids - and my husband and I both do. But have you ever played UNO with a 5 year old for the 76th time in one day? When you have, then you can criticize me.

So I thought I would share the horrible TV choices I have been making lately and see if they are worthy of defending.

Before I begin, on a positive note - I really don't watch TV during the day. No soaps, no Oprah (well, maybe once a month). My only TV time during the day comes 1-2 times a week I watch The View (don't judge me!) I really like their banter and their political discussions. Also, 2-3 times a week I watch an episode of Beverly Hills 90210.....the early stuff from the early 1990's...when it was too edgy for my to watch in my young years.

(Again, let your judgement slide...it's only gonna get worse.)

I might as well get the worst of the choices out of the way first. I've been sucked into my first season of The Bachelor. If you have never watched it, the idea is pretty simple. 25 women vie for the attention of one man, deemed, The Bachelor. He sends away the ones he can't see spending the rest of his life with. As John could tell you, because he was forced to watch it the other night, it's now down to 2 women....I can't turn away! It probably wouldn't be so bad, but each episode is 2 HOURS long! So I feel as though I wasted an entire night after I'm done watching it. As God as my witness, I'll never be sucked into this show again! (Well, unless, of course - they choose my favorite girl from this season as the next Bachelorette, I mean, c'mon...(kidding)) My defense? At least this show is a tiny step above Bret Michael's show, Rock of Love.

Second - I am a sucker for any tv show put out by Dr. Drew Pinsky. He has done all of the Celebrity Rehab shows, as well as the recent "16 and Pregnant" and "Teen Mom" show. Seriously, that pregnancy show and Teen Mom show was very well done. It probably didn't get much viewership from the 18-34 male demographic, as John couldn't stomach more than 10 minutes, but it really showed how horribly difficult it is to have a baby before you are ready - at any age. My favorite girl, Caitlyn was 17 and put her baby up for adoption. It followed her as she tried to deal with still identifying herself as a mom, yet having no contact with her daughter. Also - she had hillbilly parents from HELL who were against the whole adoption idea. It was very sweet to watch her and her boyfriend support each other and communicate with each other better than some couples who are much older. The other girls were just fun to watch because they sure made you feel like a "good mom" - no matter what kind of day you had!

Are you still with me - or have you given up and logged off?

I love the FX series, Nip/Tuck. It's about 2 plastic surgeons, one is arrogant as hell, a womanizer with an ego the size of most of his boob jobs. The other seems normal, but has very serious issues with self esteem, his morals, etc. This is the final season and I'm convinced they are going to kill each other off. Another show I've recently gotten into is The Amazing Race. It's fun to watch people under stress in foreign countries. No wonder so many other cultures don't like Americans.

So as I try not to get pulled into another season of American Idol, I wait for the sun to warm up the skies, the giant piles of snow to melt and the days to get longer. There, I've cleaned out the skeletons in MY closet a bit - but what about YOU? :)

Are there shows you watch, but aren't proud of? If you don't watch much TV, are there shows you WANT to watch?

4 comments:

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

If a "Law & Order: SVU" marathon comes on USA, Ryan knows that he can't talk to me. He'll say something and I won't hear him because I'm all entranced in Benson and Stabler. Sigh.

Ditto on the "Nip/Tuck" although I'm two seasons behind.

Otherwise, the only other shows I watch with any religious fervor is "Psych" on USA (love, love, LOVE that show) and now Ryan and I like "Archer" on FX.

I haven't even gotten into my food shows yet. I think I watch too much TV too.

Anonymous said...

I watch Law and Order, CI and SVU, American Idol and of course Survivor. I gave up on the soaps. sleep for me after working all night is much more important. I ordered a dvr so now when I am working I can tape my shows in style, and watch with no problems.

If I am not at work, yes I watch TV, that is basically my life, lol

Janet

Anonymous said...

other than ANY racing show....my favorite is... are you ready???? Real Housewives of Orange County!!! Can't believe there are 5-6 women so out of touch with the real world!!! Starting March 5th though we move to Real Housewives of New York, then New Jersey, and I think they might have a new one after that but can't remember where. Then start all over again with Atlanta!!! Thursday nights on Bravo, in case anyone else is interested :)

Denise

Anonymous said...

Just about the only thing I'd like to see on tv is Olympic pairs skating. ~~~~ Somehow I just got thinking of John's company ....

M.