Monday, December 6, 2010

Royal Hoopla

I know some of you may be sick of hearing about the royal wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton, but I can't get enough of it.  There.  I said it.

I suppose it's a phase - a girlie phase....but I can't get seem to read enough about the royal monarchies of England.  Watching all 4 seasons of The Tudors hasn't helped any either.  (If any of you are Netflix members, I HIGHLY recommend it.)  I've also read half a dozen books about the royal courts, and I've got more waiting for me.

What do you suppose is the fascination?  I'm all ears.

I love the history of it all.  I think it's amazing that such traditions have lasted so long.  And many things that were established by former kings and queens are still in place today.  Remember a long time ago I asked you all what country you'd like to visit if you could go anywhere?  Well, I've changed my mind.  I would love to go to England - London specifically, but there are beautiful places outside of the city too. 

I'll probably avoid the whole area next April though - I'm not totally crazy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading the OFFICIAL biography of the Queen Mother by William Shawcross. She lived from 1900 to 2000 and is a lot like my own mother in law. Shawcross did the BBC program on her life. It's a very 'easy' sweetly written and informative book. It's huge but reads fast. I've read a bunch about the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and of course this is the other side. Oh she seemed to be very close to her own motherinlaw - the letters they write to one another are quite striking. Intelligent and loving.
I got it from the Decorah library - it's a new book - I'm sure you could get it from the libary too.
MIL