Friday, February 18, 2011

Hmmm...maybe not

Ok - remember when I said I would still help out the elderly lady while I was babysitting?  Hmmm...after today?  I'm thinking maybe not.  Can I vent a bit?

Today was a rough one with the elderly woman.  (Is that how I should refer to her?  I don't know....seems weird....let's call her "Edith".) Anyway - boy, was she agitated and angry.  When I arrived there was a hospice nurse there visiting, doing a check-up, etc.  Hospice has a locked box of medication they keep in her apartment - for them to administer to her.  Edith screamed she wanted me to have the code to be able to open it anytime so I could give her what she needed.  I certainly didn't feel comfortable doing that.  So THAT upset Edith more.

Then the hospice nurse left and another "helper" came.  We busied ourselves with the trash, cleaning up tables, dishes, etc.  The other helper left to start the laundry and Edith went on about how much she hated the other helper.  Ugh.  (Personally, I love the other helper...she's sweet, funny, helpful, you name it.)  When the other helper came back she asked Edith a question and that set her off yelling again, "Don't talk to me!  leave me alone!"  etc.  Ok.....

Once we were getting her lunch ready, Edith was sitting up in bed waiting for it and Will came in because he was getting antsy and was ready to go home.  Edith started yelling "Get him away from me!  I don't want him in here!"  Ok - that's my cue to leave, so I left immediately with no good-bye. 

What this "Edith" is looking for is someone to stay overnight with her every night and stay with her all day long.  Hmmm...that doesn't sound like assisted living to me - that sounds like a nursing home.  Oh, and you can't talk to her or ask her questions, you just have to do what ever she wants you to do.  I was hired to do 1 hour of help, 3 times a week.  Right now, I'm at 3 hours, 3 times a week - at least...and even then it's hard to get out of there.  I told her son that I wanted to do 1-2 hours 2 times a week once I started babysitting the extra little girl, but now I'm concerned about even doing that.  And at this point, Edith needs a lot more than what I am willing or able to give her. 

So - I'm thinking about writing her son an e-mail expressing my concerns and letting him know that I'll help out next week, but then I probably shouldn't.  They need to look for more help.  And it sounds like they've been through a LOT of help....Edith tries someone for a week or two, then decides she hates them.  She tells me she loves me, wishes I could stay longer, come more often, stay overnight, etc.  Nope, not gonna happen. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you Deb, you did the right thing, and yes I think I would call it quits also, you do not need the added stress, that she is leaving on you and Will....sorry that had to happen...

stay strong
Janet