Monday, February 14, 2011

What am I?

Some time has passed now, and I feel comfortable telling you a little bit more about the work I'm doing for the elderly lady I told you about a few weeks ago.  I go see her on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings for a few hours.  It ranges from 2-3 hours right now.  She's been able to find some extra help on Friday's so I could see eventually even dropping that day all together, if the help works out. 

It's basically like taking care of another child.  I run errands for her - picking up items she thinks she needs.  Then, 2 days later, she realizes she doesn't need that item...and I return it.  THEN, days later, I go back and pick up the item again because she really does need it.  The staff at Walgreen's already knows me very well after 3 weeks. 

I clean up after her - picking up dirty clothes, dirty dishes, junk on the floor, etc.  I do laundry, wash dishes, empty the trash and occasionally accompany her to the swimming pool.  It's my morning routine anyway...except I'm getting paid.  And occasionally yelled at.  Oh wait, that happens with the kids too.  (This woman has a brain condition that causes her to snap at odd times, and then become very appreciative again.  So far, only happened twice.  When the kids yell at me, it's NOT a brain condition....it's cause for a "mom stare")

So my question is....what am I?  Does this VERY part-time position (if you can call it that) label me as a "working mom".  I guess so....but it also sheds light on what REAL working moms go through day in and day out.  After spending just 3 hours helping this woman, I'm ready to call it a day.  Will has spent that time playing with toys she has provided for him, reading books, eating snacks, etc.  So, he's had a good time...and is ready for lunch.  I can't even bring myself to make him more than a peanut butter sandwich and some carrot sticks or applesauce....if that.  

Then I'm at home and have to tackle all those chores all over again....but this time at my own house.  I don't want you to think I'm looking for pity - I'm not.  I'm looking for pity for the FULL time working moms who are working 8-9 hours...three times the day I put in....and still have to tackle all that other stuff at home. 

And while I appreciate the money and the opportunity to do something extra for my family....I really appreciate the chance to take a small step in other moms' shoes.  It's really hard! 

Sooo...on this Valentine's Day, give a working mom you know a great big hug.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad that things are going well. Nice to have extra cash. Of course your spending it on the kids right? Hahaha. Work is busy here right now will explain later, but I have such a busy home life right? hahahaha.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that sentiment :) Now you have a little taste what I go thru working about 60 hrs a week! Thank goodness Sarah is older and independent along with her dad :) But laundry, dishes, etc., still await me every day!

Denise

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

HUG. You're still my favorite working mom. (Although Denise comes second - and that's only because she never killed me for corrupting her only child.)

Hope you had a good Valentine's Day.

Anonymous said...

shelley I never did but you were close -- remember the finger thing and "I am Tony" still don't get it but do remember it :)

Denise

Deb said...

These days, I think Sarah could corrupt US. :)

On another note - Denies, you're telling me this never gets easier?!?! Geez, I thought it was just hard while they were "young" - you mean there's ALWAYS laundry and dishes to do? :(