Thursday, May 19, 2011

Comfy and cool

Two weeks ago John and I were able to escape for 24 hours to head to a wedding in St. Cloud, MN.  We left the kids with his mom who had driven up from IA for just the occasion.  This was a co-worker of John's getting married...about the last guy in the office to do so. 

Obviously we decided to stay overnight, but the REALLY nice touch that the bride and groom had added were shuttles to take guests back and forth between the hotels and reception/dance area.  This allowed everyone to have a really good time and know that they'd be safe getting back to the hotel.  Hmmm....maybe TOO good of a time.

The bride and groom also had a photo booth set up where piles of people could crowd in, take some pictures, and one set went in a book for the couple while the other set you got to keep.  Talk about craziness. :)  Throw in a mullet wig and you've really got a party. 

As is becoming tradition, hot pizzas showed up about 10:30 or so just to give everyone the last burst of energy needed to get to midnight.  Then we all piled into the shuttles and headed out.  Oh, did I mention the hotel was connected to an Old Chicago?  Perfect for one last nightcap...which was certainly not needed - however, a friend and I decided we'd have one more. 

That brings up to the bathroom floor.  It's been a long time since I've had so much to drink that I was sick all night.  (Ok...so it's only been 2 years....thanks to Shelley's bottle of wine.) BUT in college it seemed to happen more often - as it was supposed to.  The last 2 years of college I lived in a campus apartment with 5 other girls.  We had 2 bathrooms.  On nights where I had had a LOT of "fun" I wouldn't allow myself to get sick in these bathrooms because I didn't want to gross out my roomies.  Sooo...I would go out in the hallway, around the corner and use the public lobby bathroom.  I'd lock the door, hunker down with a blanket and just sleep there for the night so I wouldn't have to go back and forth.  If the roommates couldn't find me...they knew I'd be in the lobby bathroom.  Soo...the hotel bathroom also became my bed of choice that night.  The cool floor, water availability and lights were necessary, believe me.  It was nice to revisit the "younger" days....and now I think I'm good for at least another 5 years. 

Made me feel young again....to a point.  Until, of course, I came home to two kids.  And sure enough, Katie picked that afternoon to get sick herself.  So as I'm holding back her hair, I know just how she feels.

2 comments:

SKM said...

I'm flashing back to college, Thanksgiving break and a spinning room. Sigh! Love it. :)

Deb said...

Get outside!! :)