Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I found it!

I finally fount it!  No, not the Christmas present I hid 2 years ago....a book!

Allow me to explain....when I was little I would spend a lot of time at my aunt Carol's house.  She was a school teacher and had "older" books for children.  I think the newest book she had was "Morris Goes to School" - published in 1983.  (A great book, by the way!)  Anyway, most of the books I remember very well, and have been able to find at library book sales.

However, there is one book that was my FAVORITE, but for the life of me I couldn't remember the title.  I loved the pictures, loved the plot of the story - everything.  Now, thanks to Google's amazing search techniques I was able to find the title.

I typed in "children's book invention kids run away from home live in houses they build".  I searched through the first 10 or so results, and there it was "Andrew Henry's Meadow" by Doris Burn.

It said that the author, Doris Burn, had just recently passed away on March 11, 2011.  She was 87 years old.  When my aunt passed away she was 87 years old too.

I got chills and took this to mean that I needed to get a copy of this book.  I want to share it with my kids, in the hopes they enjoy it like I did.  Even if they didn't - I knew I would.  I found a used copy on ebay for $8.00 and I scooped it up.  It's not here yet....but soon....and I can't wait!


Basically it's about a boy whose family doesn't pay any attention to him so he runs away, builds his own home in the woods and lives in peace.  As the story goes on, more neighborhood kids get the idea of running away and join him in the forest.  They each have Andrew build them a unique forest home.  And pretty soon the forest looks like a tiny little town.  As a kid it made me want to imagine what MY forest house would look like and what kinds of things I'd want to have in it. 

Supposedly there's a movie in the works based on the book......Ugh. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing this book and have probably read it, but it doesn't stick in my mind as much as the Sammy the Seal book :) I should look through Sarah's books we have stashed, but I don't think we have it....

Denise