Monday, May 23, 2011

A warning...

I've been meaning to blog about this for a while now and am finally sitting down to do it.  I want to talk about dentists.  You may remember me writing about taking the kids to the dentist...and if you don't re-read it here and here too.

To refresh, our old dentist kept pointing out these "cavities" that we couldn't see.  Cavities that they'd only pick up on the x-ray.  Cavities that would require "laughing gas" and Novocaine.  I'd ask to see the x-ray and for some reason or another, I wasn't allowed/able to see.  I also was never allowed to go back with the kids, unless I made a big fuss about it, which I usually did anyway. 

Well, 2 years of this and I had pretty much had it.  Crazy high bills ($274 for 2 cavities....that's AFTER insurance.), and just a condescending tone, you know?  Last August the kids had their LAST check-up at this dentist.  I was told that Katie had 3-4 cavities that again - I couldn't see.  I was also told that Will had 2 cavities...one which I could see - a little spot on the outside lower molar.  She said that this cavity required that Will be put "out" and the procedure done in an OR.  Did you catch that?  They wanted him unconscious!

I told them that this was OUT OF THE QUESTION and we would not be coming back.  A few days later I got a call from the dentist and was told that she needed to read me a statement and that I had to give oral notification that I was read the statement.  It was along the lines of "so you're gonna put your child's life in jeopardy because you don't love them like we do", etc. 

It came time to find a new dentist...for myself as well because I didn't want to drive to Minnetonka anymore for myself - I wanted something closer.  I hit the yellow pages called some that had evening and weekend appointments.  Some I just got bad vibes from - one I did not.  One receptionist was wonderful and friendly and sweet.  The kids were able to get in right away for their check-up and I was only a couple weeks later.  The staff insisted I come back with them....they got to watch cartoons on TVs during their check-up and loved the staff - many of whom were grandmas themselves. :)

I alerted the dentist beforehand that I was aware the kids had a lot of cavities.  After their exam she had a talk with me about what she found.  Katie had ONE tiny cavity (not 3-4) that she was certain she could fill without Novocaine...just 2-3 seconds of drilling.  Will had ONE little cavity as well, (not 2) also not needing any Novocaine...just 3-5 seconds of drilling, and certainly did not need to be "put under".  We have since gotten the bill for these 2 cavities as well.....$140 total.  A HUGE difference from the last dentist, who I feel, took advantage of us as parents. 

Sooo....for all you locals out there, I'm naming names......Dr. Angela Wandera and Associates in Eden Prairie. Stay away from them.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I'm *all* about naming-names! People NEED to know if there are bad professionals so they can avoid them!

When we lived closer, we really liked Prairie Dental (Ben Fenger)--they were great with my sensory kiddos and also with Ryan and myself!

Now that we live so far north, we switched dentists...they're ok, but not good enough to "recommend" to anyone else...but not bad enough not to go back.

I'm glad you found a new place!

Drew Kluesner said...

i have a similar issue with our current dentist. hasn't a year gone by where we haven't reached our maximum offering from insurance. and they've even had the balls to say... you still have some room in your insurance. i think you should have this done too.