Thursday, June 20, 2013

The things you learn from Facebook....

According to my college's post on Facebook this morning George R. R. Martin, the author of the Game of Thrones series was a professor there in the 70's!  So I did a bit of digging and confirmed it.  This is from his own website:

"Fortunately, I had a master’s degree from the best journalism school in the country, and after sending out several hundred queries, I was hired as a journalism instructor by Clarke College, a small Catholic women’s college in Dubuque, Iowa. It was a two-man department. My friend Charlie Ellis taught television and film, and I taught the print journalism courses. I was also the faculty advisor to the student newspaper, The Courier, which was great fun and got me in trouble constantly."

Pretty interesting, at least to me.  I guess they should invite him back to speak, right?  Or at least give alumni advanced copies of his next book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

His masters and bachelor degrees are both from Northwestern University. Just wondered what the best journalism school is. Now I know.

m.

Anonymous said...

june 20 dear? come give us some new content.