Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Little Girl Time

Today Katie and I had a little "Girl Time." She and I went to the 2008 Gymnastics All Star show at the Xcel Center. Thanks to the Ortega food company I had 2 free tickets waiting for me at the will-call window. A few months ago I saw an ad in the Sunday paper that said if you bought $15 worth of Ortega Mexican food you could receive 2 free tickets to any Gymnastics All Star show. YAY!

Although we were kinda in the nose bleed section - at least we were there. We could see everything great - just kinda far away. Katie didn't really care because she got to have popcorn and lemonade.

Personally, I LOVED IT. We got to see (forgive the spelling) Shawn Johnson, Nastia Lukin, the Hamm brothers, Chelsea Memmel, Shannon Miller, and more. Everyone that was on the 2008 Olympic team was there. The routines they perform on tv look difficult...that's nothing to seeing them in person. Wow. They look darn near impossible!

Katie was having a good time until somewhere in the second half of the show...suddenly a Miley Cyrus song comes on - "I Might Even Be A Rock Star." BOOM - there is an excited look on her face and she is on her feet singing and dancing. Her 'good' time turned into 'great' time. Then on comes the Hannah Montana song "Best of Both Worlds." Holy cow - I thought I was going to have to hold on to her! Everyone in our section enjoyed the dancing. :)

My favorite moments were the guys on the high bar - they really put on a show! I also liked Nastia Lukin on balance beam - so beautiful. She also spoke about her dad, who is her coach and how much it meant to be in Beijing with him. So the song she performed to was "Butterfly Kisses." And while normally that song makes me wretch...I actually got chills watching her.
All in all it was a terrific show - almost a teenie-bop rock concert. I was able to take pictures, but let's face it - we were too far away for them to be worthwhile, so I'll spare you.

P.S. - Welcome back to IA my niece, Sarah (who was in Chicago) and my Mom (who was in Branson) I also have a favor to ask of you readers...I seem to have misplaced my keys here at home. If you were my keys...where would you be? Also - what do you think are the odds Will threw them away? :(

7 comments:

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

Look in your shoes. That's where I end up putting mine. And no, I have no clue why I would do that. Or else, try looking in one of your cupboards.

Anonymous said...

I think the odds are REAL good that they ended up in the garbage can -- I've seen him in action! Also I'm glad you and Katie had such a good time. It's times like that that you wished you lived either closer to or in the cities. Now we know what Katie was trying to tell Sarah about a "Rockstar". Sarah wasn't sure what she was talking about :)

Denise

Anonymous said...

Oh, PS HAPPY BIRTHDAY :) Enjoy that cheesecake :)

Denise

Anonymous said...

thanks for the welcome back, chicago was great! it was nice to be back in a big city, even though it wasn't new york!

sarah

Anonymous said...

Yes it was fine to be with 4 sisters and 1 cousin for 4 days in Branson. But I have to tell you, "What happens in Branson, stays in Branson" lol But I will get rested up!! Love Mom

Drew Kluesner said...

I'm guessing under the computer desk..

Anonymous said...

Have you found your keys yet? If not, did you carry anything else in that day? Check under a pile of junk mail you plan on going through later. I've done that before!