Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Day 2

I thought a dog was supposed to help you relax.  Just kidding - I'm a little on edge today just because it's the puppy's first day and I want to make sure I get him exercised enough and worn out, etc.  It's hard to do when he doesn't want to go for a walk.  Right now, he's content walking around the yard on the leash and smelling everything everywhere.  We did get some running done in the back yard.  We also made a trip to Petco - just the puppy and I.  The workers there were tickled pick to see him and he was excited that there was someone to give him extra attention.  (He whined at the door after John left for work....and he whined as the kids got on the bus.)

Molly came out at some point before dawn to sleep on Katie's bed.  I moved her food/water downstairs and have shut the door so the puppy can't get down her just yet.  I'm off to Fleet Farm after Will gets home from school to see about getting a crate.  (They are 50% cheaper at Fleet Farm versus the pet store.)  I looked online for a used one for the size I need, but it's obvious that those were all bought at the pet store because they aren't marked down much!

Once I have the crate, I'm thinking I'll put him inside and then bring Molly up to "meet" him in a closed room.  It's going to take a while, but I think they'll get used to each other. 

Well, I must have done something right in tuckering him out because he's taking his 2nd nap of the day and it's only 11:00 am.  So far we've only had 1 accident inside - which was my fault for not seeing his cues.  He does a good job of going right away when we are outside.

The pet store gave me a sample of gingersnap puppy treats to take home.  I told them that I give the kids 2 days before they try to eat the treats themselves.  They smell really good....

No comments: