Monday, November 19, 2012

Moving in the right direction....

We seem to be moving in the right direction with this puppy thing.

Things that are getting better:
- No barking/whining/crying when in the crate at night.  We covered the entire crate with a sheet...instead of just over 2 sides.  We also turned on NPR so that he could hear quiet voices.  To cure the barks at the beginning of the night we used an empty can filled with 15 pennies and taped shut.  As soon as the barking started....I shook the can loudly next to his crate.  I think after 3-4 times, he was quiet.
- No barking/whining/crying when returned to crate after nighttime potty trips
- Better at responding to name and "Hans, COME!"
- Better at responding to "OFF!" when he tries to climb on the couch or reach the cat's food
- Better at fetch inside with his tennis ball
- Accidents in the house are becoming very rare
-Walking on the leash in a straight line
- And best yet!?  Hans just went in his crate....ON HIS OWN....to take his nap.  The door remains open during the day when we are here and should become his "space" to take refuge instead of random places on the floor.  It makes putting him in there at night or when I am away much easier and happier for everyone involved.


Things that we are still working on:
- Can't seem to go longer than 2-2 1/2 hours at nighttime before needing to go out.  However, if he happily gets back in his crate with out barking and whining...I can do frequent wakes for a while.
- Chasing Molly.  He's getting better - and is not vicious about it at all....it's totally a play thing.  He usually doesnt' chase her upstairs though.
- Balancing the nighttime routine.  Right now I'm getting up with Hans, but on nights when I have to get up with the kids too, (like last night - Will had a nightmare) it makes it very hard to deal with both situations simultaneously.  Hans needs someone sleeping on the couch next to his crate, listening for his "pee cues" but Will wants to sleep in my bed upstairs with me.  Oh well, it doesn't happen every night, but it means I could fall asleep by 8:30 most evenings.


 
Will liked the crate too. 
This was a one-time deal when we first set it up and before the dog got to check it out. 
 Now it's the dog's private place, and Will just has to make due being "free."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear Will in the crate was a one time thing. People get on the news sometimes for things like that.

(kidding)

m.

Say how about Pebbles? Is she still coming to your house?

Anonymous said...

OH gosh I hope that wasn't one of those unsolicited child rearing tips. I didn't mean it that way.

m.

Anonymous said...

"Pebbles" does still come to the house. Two full days, three half days. She is on vacation in CO this week. So far she likes the puppy and the puppy likes her...maybe too much. It will be nice to have some time without her to work on Hans' behavior. Then, work on getting her accepted as "one of the pack" instead of a play toy. ;)

Deb

Anonymous said...

I don't know I kinda like the crate idea for your kids...there were times when I would have liked that...kinda like a play pen except better!! Things seem to be going better for you anyway...but still glad it is you and not me :)

Denise

Deb said...

And of course it wasn't my idea to have Will get in the crate. As soon as I set it up he said, "I bet I could fit in there." Next thing I know, in he goes. It WAS, however, my idea to capture the moment on film.

And Denise, I totally get it. We're a week in, and I already feel ahead of where we were last week. So anyone picking up a new puppy today - better then than us. In a week, we'll be even further ahead. And in a few years, you'll be begging to see him. :) (Even more than now....)

Anonymous said...

See him yes....keep him NO :) I see all the work Pam does for the 2
dogs she has and not up for that!!

Denise