Saturday, November 10, 2012

What would you do??

So Katie's grades and assignments are all accessible online as they are recorded and entered in the teacher's grade book.  It's nice for parents because they can help with lost assignments and help keep track of what homework needs to be done.

I hadn't really been checking it, but I looked the other day and saw that she had an assignment in Social Studies on maps that she got 3 out of 23.  And, because they only have 5 graded assignments in Social Studies, this was giving her a D-.

I e-mailed the teacher and said basically - oh my, is this something that we should go over with her at home, did she totally misunderstand the directions?  What happened? Etc.  I hadn't seen a homework sheet like this come home yet.  The teacher e-mailed me back and said that as soon as she read my e-mail she knew there had been a mistake. She went back and checked, and sure enough - it should have been 23 out of 23.  No problem.

So then, today I started going back through Katie's grades for the last 10 days that I still have corrected worksheets for.  (They haven't been recycled just yet!)  Another one pops out at me - a Media and Technology worksheet where it says online that Katie got 5 out of 15, but on the actual worksheet it says 5 out of 5.......but the way it's written, at quick glance it looks like +5/5....or 15/5.....but there are only 5 questions on the page and she got them all right and there is a star and a sticker.  So I'm thinking that this one got entered wrong too - giving her a C- average instead of an A. 

I e-mailed the teacher again - totally feeling like a pestering parent....especially since the teacher is having her tonsils out today and will be gone from school for the next 2 weeks!!  She will be back 4 days before the 1st trimester ends and report cards go out. 

Am I being too picky?  After all, it's 3rd grade.....but these mistakes are dropping Katie from an A to a D- and C-..........should I be double checking all of the worksheets coming home????  Great, more work.

3 comments:

Deb said...

And there are questionable low grades from eariler in the year, but I don't have the worksheets anymore. :( But they are low grades that would have otherwise stuck out at me as we go through her bookbag everyday......but no way to prove that they were entered wrong.

Anonymous said...

Obviously it isn't only happening to Katie. Is it one teacher making all these mistakes? If so she/he should slow down a little and do a better job. My BC teacher friend puts in a LOT of time marking and recording grades - it's a big job - but it needs to be done right.

Good luck. Looks like an opportunity to display some tactful interest.

m.

Anonymous said...

I say you need to keep on the teacher...I agree with Mary she needs to pay more attention....also knowing Katie if she seen c's and d's on her report card she would be upset...you are also showing the example of how to handle your problem in a positive manner...keep on top of it!!

Denise