Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Update.....

Ok.  I can do this. 

I met with the woman who is looking for some extra help, and her son.  She lives in an assisted living facility in her own apartment.  There was just a lot of information to take down today.  It's a bit overwhelming.  Ok, it's REALLY overwhelming. 

I spoke with her son prior to going to this woman's apartment.  He and his sister are her only 2 children - his sister lives our east so it's just him trying to organize everything to take care of his mom.  They have agencies that they work with for nurses, aides, etc. but they rotate in and out a lot and it's always a new person coming in so it's frustrating to explain to them how to do the things she needs done. 

I was unsure of all the necessary duties - but it seems to be picking up prescriptions, writing down when she takes her meds, making phone calls for her, walking the halls with her, watching her while she swims, changing sheets once in a while, taking out the trash, driving to appointments, and conversation.  On Friday I have to drive her to the University of Minnesota for a blood pressure check.  Her son says they are trying to get her to do this stuff locally, but she says they are smarter at the U. :)  I'm nervous about driving her there - just the drive in general, but I keep telling myself that I HAVE to get used to driving to the U because in 8 short months my niece will be in school there and I'll be invited to all kinds of college parties again. :)

She loves Will, says she's going to have a new toy for him next week.  And I don't doubt it one bit....within 4 minutes of meeting her she had bought me a case of steaks they were advertising on QVC.  They're being shipped to my house as we speak.  I tried to refuse and she snapped saying "don't argue with me" - her son agreed saying if she wants to buy you something....just let her.  Hence, the steaks.

When it came time to discuss payment - I gave my $ amount.....and they topped it.  I couldn't argue with that counter offer...so I agreed to the position and will help them out 3 days a week for an hour - and any additional bits here and there if she needs to go to an appointment. 

Really, it's the perfect job for my right now - I can bring my kids.....it's around my schedule....and it's a few hours a week where I'll make at least a few hundred dollars a month.  Now for the hard parts....

She's 79 and has Parkinson's as well as a type of degenerative brain disorder.  She talks about death a lot - wanting to die, etc.  Obviously she reminds me a lot of my aunt Carol who passed away 1 1/2 years ago.  In fact, I saw on one of her papers that she has a nurse named "Carol Hansen".  If that doesn't give you chills....I don't know what does. 
One of the side effects of the brain disorder is that she snaps at people a lot - her son said that I can't let it bother me - it isn't personal, it's just her disorder.  I think that will be the hardest part because I'm the type of person who hates to make mistakes. 

Well, we'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that you will do great Deb; I think that this is the perfect fit! That is great that you can bring Will with you.

Take care,
Jamie

Anonymous said...

This sounds interesting - a good thing for everybody. Good luck.
M