Monday, January 7, 2013

Here we go...

The first full week of 2013 begins and everything now returns to a routine.  Activities resume, school in full swing, and my official countdown to spring begins.  This January thaw is very nice, though.  It was almost 30 degrees at the bus stop this morning, so instead of our usual 15-20 minute walk after the kids get on the bus, Hans and I did 45.  We still stay away from the busy streets, stick only to the residential neighborhoods.  FedEx trucks and garbage trucks freak him out.  He likes school buses very much.

Katie's school bus driver (who NEVER says anything to us in the morning or afternoon - even if I utter a 'hello' first) gave Katie a big dog biscuit on Friday to give to Hans.  He always is outside with us when Katie gets on the bus, and sometimes when she gets off.  I swear I laughed so loud when she came in the door with it because it's just another striking example of how dogs seem to really open some people up.  This morning as Katie got on the bus, Hans and I thanked him for the sweet treat.  He asked if he liked it and I said he did very much.  So then he sits there with the bus door open for (NO KIDDING) 2 minutes telling me how his girl dog just loves them and she only goes in the crate if she gets to have one, and here's where I can find the best deal on them, and oh I can find a coupon for them in this place and on and on and on.  It's the longest conversations I've have with him in our entire busing career.  And 2 minutes is a LOOONG time in a bus driver's world.

Yesterday was our first rehearsal for Willy Wonka!  Katie and I are both in the musical again this year.  For the next 7 weeks we will have rehearsals every Sunday from 1-4 and almost every Wednesday night from 8-9.  There are 94 people in the production this year!  (Most of whom are Oompa Loompas.)

 
Here's a picture from our first rehearsal - some group singing time! 
Katie and I are in the middle right.
 
Will also starts floor hockey this week.  He plays every Wednesday night at the rec center.  That should be fun to see too - I may have pictures of that soon.  Hans has puppy play time and puppy class every Tuesday/Thursday night.  That pretty much books up a lot of my evenings all of a sudden!  That's ok - it forces me to get good with leftovers and freezing/prepping meals ahead of time.  I have a feeling being busy on weeknights is only going to get worse as the kids get older!

Oh, and one other thing I just signed up for....our church offers free classes every Thursday night for the month of January (J-term) - everything from yoga, aerobics, tax planning, funeral planning, CPR, playing cards, scrapbooking, etc.  Well, I signed up for a "learn to knit" session!  I don't have any shred of knowledge about knitting, but they are promising me that I will learn to knit a scarf. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - you do have a lot going on! Have fun!

m.







Anonymous said...

I liked the bus driver/dog story. People do love dogs and dogs bring people out of themselves. There is an automatic topic of converstion and of sharing.
Good for you and Katie and Hans.

Do you remember the refrigerator magnet made from a dog biscuit? The other day day it fell on the floor and Gracie ate the biscuit. I rescued the magnet and the little stuffed dog that had been on the dog biscuit.

Deb said...

I kind of thought that fridge magnet only had a matter of time before it was eaten. If ours ever gets knocked to the ground, it'll get snatched up and swallowed too. :)