Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Vet issue

I called the vet office that is administering Hans' puppy shots/exams.  Since we got him from a shelter, they have a vet they have partnered with.  As long as we go to their vet, the shelter covers the first 3 doses of distemper and the rabies vaccines.  They also cover the spaying/neutering.  We have an appointment for this Thursday to get his rabies shot and I called to see if they would be willing to add the Bordatella vaccine, and I would pay for it.  It's a virus spread by dogs eating fecal waste of other animals infected with it.  I don't know anything about it, other than the boarding kennels here require it.  I found out the hard way when we tried to kennel Hans for a night so that we could go to a hotel.  When I called our regular vet to see if they would administer the shot, they said they would but would require an exam be done first (at an additional cost) since they had no history of the animal on file. 

Short story even longer - yes, they would give the vaccine, no problem. I mentioned that we would be there on Thursday for the rabies shot, and they can do it then.  I was told by the person on the other end that Hans already received his rabies shot on the 27th.  They said he got 2 shots that day.

Me: Ummm, no - he only got the distemper.  I remember vividly because I kind of begged for them to give him the rabies shot while we were there so we wouldn't have to make another trip up, but I was told quite loudly that he was far too young for the rabies shot.

Her: No.  Our records show that he was given the distemper in the upper right shoulder, and the rabies on the rear right side.

Me: - No - I held him myself for the shot, and we only got ONE.

Her:  He was probably taken from the room and given it somewhere else.

Me: No, he was with us the entire time.

Her: Well, it clearly states that David administered both shots to Hans....

Me: That's wrong too!  It wasn't a male tec - it was a female, about 5 feet tall in bright pink scrubs, short red curly hair.

Her:  We can give Hans a second rabies shot, but it will be at your cost.

Me: He wasn't given a FIRST!  And as I'm looking at our calendar, we weren't even there on the 27th.  We were there on the 20th.

Her: Oh, well, the dates don't really mean anything.  When the information is added, we're supposed to just click on a date around the time we ate entering the information in.  Sometimes they can be off by as much as 2 weeks.

What?  Is that normal for a vet office?  Ok - whatever.  She agreed to pull the file and have someone look at it to make sure it's right.  I hung up by saying that I was absolutely positive it was not right.

I just got a call back from the vet whom we actually saw (and who remembers us) saying that it was a mixup on ID numbers, and they got it all squared away.  But then she left off saying...."Hans is all set to come get his distemper on Friday."

"Ummm....no, it's his rabies shot and we're coming on Thursday."  Lord help us.

It's a vet-filled week because Molly also gets to go get her rabies shot on Friday.  As I remember, the last time we took her to the vet, it was not fun.  I'm taking her by myself this time so maybe that will be easier.

1 comment:

Vickie said...

This sounds like every conversation I have with any sort of service professional. No one knows what they're doin'!!! Good for Hans that he has you watching his back!