Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A first time for everything

As some of you know, our kids have been very sheltered from babysitters. Because we are always able to find family or close friends to watch them, we haven't had to branch out and use a traditional babysitter...until now. This Sunday will be the very first time we use a babysitter. John and I are going to go see Bruce Springsteen in concert, and we have found a wonderful (I think) woman to watch the kids. She actually babysits for our friends Jamie and Joe's nieces. She has family in IA, is 30 and just took the bar exam to become a lawyer. (So she has had background checks. :)) Am I nervous?? Yes. But I am also excited that we will make a new connection with someone the kids will really love.
I am already getting Katie ready by talking about fun things they can do, and how bedtime should go. Will really won't care one way or another, as long as Katie is with him. I think it will be good. So please, no scary babysitter stories...only calm, reassuring pleasant thoughts. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Relax, she sounds like a nice woman, and I know Katie will keep her busy, you and John need time away, the kids will have fun and Katie will probably tell you that she wants the lady to babysit again, because they will have so much fun. and a lawyer wow, hope she does not charge what she would charge being a lawyer, lol. hope you have a great time, wait until Justin hears this, he will not believe that you like Bruce Springstein.
have fun.
Janet

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you are calling a 30 year old girl a "lady". I thought you were talking about some grandma type :) they will be fine and if they cry just keep walking. It does pass. Will won't care as long as she gives him food :)
Denise

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

oh jeez - you know most of the people who babysat me growing up (because we'd always run into them in the bars) so no calm, reassuring stories from me. :) There has to be some reason that I watched "Friday the 13th" at the tender age of seven and knew all the words to "Take This Job and Shove It" by the time I was 4.

Maybe I'm telling you all this because I'm envious that you're going to see Bruce ... *sigh* His new CD is amazing, you're going to have a WONDERFUL time.

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

and the kids will be fine ...