Monday, March 30, 2009

"I love Dad more!", "NO!"

Katie and Will have a common argument lately. They fight over John. Every night we get our jammies on and brush our teeth. Will has this strong attachment to John - he ONLY wants Dad to help put his jammies on and brush his teeth. So then Katie runs over to John yelling, "No, I love Dad more!" And because Will can basically only say a few words, he yells at the top of his lungs, "NOOO!" Then Katie yells again, then Will, then Katie, then Will...you get the idea. It really is cute. And it means that John has to do a lot more work with the kids at night so I tell Katie that I think "I" love Dad the MOST. Boy, does THAT make her mad.


Katie and Will in the bathtub. I had to hide the behind...it is the internet, you know.


On Friday, Katie got up from her rest and was complaining about her ear hurting. I kind of wrote it off, thinking it was just another small complaint from a tired 4 year old, but she kept insisting that it hurt. Of course it was 4:00 on a Friday...the clinic was closed. Luckily our clinic here in town offers after hours urgent care which our insurance covers the same as any regular office visit. We stopped in to have her ear checked only to find out that she has her first ear infection. They said it looked pretty nasty - so she has her Amoxicillon to take the rest of this week. The pharmacist asked if I had any questions because Katie had never taken this before. I verified the dosage info and then explained that I basically grew up on the stuff and had taken it about every other month as a kid....whether I was sick or not. (Yes, Mom there were times I was faking. :) ) After Katie's first dose I could tell that she felt better. They also said that it isn't something Will should 'catch' because it obviously isn't contagious.

John had to work on Saturday. So to get out of the house, the kids and I went to the Mall of America. "WHAT?! ARE YOU CRAZY? YOU WENT THERE ON A SATURDAY?" I know, I know. But I figured there were just 4-5 stores I wanted to check and then we'd grab a bite to eat and a visit with the Easter Bunny. Ah, those could have been my famous last words. Luckily, the kids were AMAZINGLY good. The mall was insanely crowded and that part was not enjoyable - but the kids were troopers and listened very well with no whining. Honestly - it was more than I expected. Katie didn't even ask to go on a ride. Our mission, which we chose to accept, was shoes. Find shoes for Shelley's wedding. The result? Zip. Zero. Zilch. All of the kids' shoes are either black or white - no brown. And all the brown women's shoes have hooker heels. ("What's wrong with that?" says John - a typical man.) :) So I have decided to order our shoes from the wonderful world of Amazon.com. Never tried it before, but they have literally hundreds of brown shoes to choose from for both Katie and I, and are reasonably priced as well.


Katie and the Easter Bunny - she told me this isn't the real one.
Where's Will? Clutching onto my shoulder with his white knuckles. He wasn't going ANYWHERE near that monster! He did give him a tiny high five, but even that freaked him out.

We've been taking advantage of our Netflix subscription the past week or so. We watched Man On Wire - a documentary about a Frenchman who walked the high wire between the World Trade Towers in the 70's. It was pretty interesting. After that, I made John watch Twilight. This was the recent movie based on the book by Stephanie Miller that I read not long ago. I just finished book #2 in the saga and have started #3. John surprised be by saying that he liked the storyline - just not the movie. I figured he wouldn't like any of it. :) The movie was better than I expected - but it doesn't come close to the book - I think. Isn't that always the case? I also was not crazy about book #2...I have higher hopes for the third one.


And finally - we watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall the other night. Holy cow - that was one of the funniest movies I have seen in a long time. Great cast - funny script. It may have helped that John and I both had a couple beers in us, but c'mon - funny is funny. :) I highly recommend it....for those of you over 17 of course. :)



I remembered the Easter decorations! Here, the kids are putting up the window clings.


6 comments:

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

OK ... that's cryptic. Did you hit publish before you were done?

Deb said...

Yes - I did...boy you ARE quick. I've added stuff now. :)

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

I was wondering - i mean, it was a compelling title. :)

Love the pics. I love the stories about the kids because they crack me up. Everyone at work wonders what I chuckle about ... :)

Anonymous said...

I hope that Katie is feeling better! Sorry you came up empty handed at the mall... hopefully Amazon and deliver :)! I loved the John story and the pic!

Jamie

Anonymous said...

Deb -
For your question of the week - how about asking people to define love? Ask the family too - well Will can be excused until he gets some more words.

Drew Kluesner said...

good photoshop skills. :)