Friday, April 15, 2011

Funny Friday

Katie is in the middle of studying poems at school.  I thought it would be fun to get a Shel Silverstein book of poems from the library and read through it. We're only about 1/4 of the way through, but I found some favorites that I remember when I was young.  These are all from A Light in the Attic.

Prayer of the Selfish Child

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep,
If I should die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my toys to break.
So none of the other kids can use 'em...
Amen.


One Two

One, two, buckle my shoe.
    "Buckle your own shoe!"
Who said that?
    "I did.  What are you doing with those silly buckles
     on your shoes anyway?"
Three, four, shut the door.
    "You shut it - you opened it."
Er....five, six, pick up sticks.
    "Why should I pick them up - do you think I'm your slave? 
      Buckle my shoe, shut the door, pick up sticks, next thing
      you'll be telling me to lay them straight."
But it's only a poem....Nine, ten, a big fat....oh never mind.


Fancy Dive

The fanciest dive that ever was dove
Was done by Melissa of Coconut Grove.
She bounced on the board and flew into the air
With a twist of her head and a twirl of her hair.
She did thirty-four jackknives , backflipped and spun,
Quadruple gainered, and reached for the sun,
And then somersaulted nine times and a quarter -
And looked down and saw that the pool had no water. 

No comments: