Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Wedding Week

Have you heard that there's a royal wedding taking place this week?  Just checking to make sure you aren't living under a rock or anything. 

There are TONS of specials about the royal wedding on this week, and I've watching a few here and there, but none are great.  I don't give a flying fig about where Kate and William shared their first kiss....where they held hands.....how many times they broke up......what kind of dress she will wear......yadda, yadda, yadda.  Don't get me wrong - I'll watch the ceremony (not at 4 am), but I'd MUCH rather hear about Westminster Abby itself - do a special about that.  Tell everyone about how many wonderful coronations have taken place there......how many other weddings (besides members of the Windsor family) have taken place there.  Tell us about who's buried there - no, you won't, well then allow me....

Did you know ALL these and TONS more are buried there.....
Jane Austen
Margaret Beaufort (Henry viii's grandmother)
William Blake
Sir Winston Churchill
Oliver Cromwell (Lord Protector of England in the 1600's.....his plaque says "Burial place of Oliver Cromwell 1658-1661....only 3 years....cuz after 3 years Charles II had him dug back up....taken to Tyburn - where most executions were done and his dead body was hung up for a few days, then his head cut off and put on spikes. I'd gather he upset a few people while alive. )The fact that this still happened even just 200 years ago - blows my mind.

Charles Darwin
Charles Dickens
Sir Francis Drake
Sir Isaac Newton
William Shakespeare
Frances Brandon (daughter of Charles Brandon - niece of Henry viii, mother of Lady Jane Grey who was Queen for 9 days, then executed.)

Anne of Cleves (4th wife to Henry viii.....Queen Mary ordered her buried in the Abby....cuz she was catholic and Mary quite liked that about people.)

Speaking of being catholic....did you know that William had to ask the Queen's permission to marry? Not a big surprise - but one of the reasons she gave her approval is because Kate is NOT catholic.  The monarchy demands that if a person in line for the throne marries a Catholic - then they abdicate their claim to the throne.....or the Catholic must convert faiths.  I guess they'll be damned if another Catholic gets any power in England. :)

This is the stuff I want to know about - so since the news coverage isn't giving it to me - I guess I've found other sources. :)

I figured I can do as many posts about the royal wedding as I want because we have OUR OWN Kate and William.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never even put together that you have your own Kate and Will! How clever :) Hopefully they are able to dodge the media this week :) Next time we are in the mall we will yell there is Kate and William and see what happens :)

Denise